Thursday, 17 September 2026

Revisiting a Tale of Two Tank Platoons



I have just re-bought back into the 'Panzer' series, which looks at WWII tactical action. 

In September 2018, I put up a post called A Tale of Two Tank Platoons. In introducing the game play, it looked at an action from the perspective of how tank crews from both sides on the east front were trained.

I think the post has been one of my favourites during my time as a blogger and so rather than write up something similar, I thought I would simply give a link back to that article - I hope you enjoy it. 

LINK

https://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2018/09/panzer-and-tale-of-two-tank-platoons.html


RESOURCES

I also have some separate webspace called COMMANDERS, which is more snippet based than here. I post there more often than here and at the moment it is a more reliable way of seeing my stuff than Blogger.

LINK 

https://commanders.simdif.com/dear_diary.html


20 comments:

  1. Summer re-runs! I like it! I vaguely recall buying this game after your 2018 post. You jump around tactical WWII games a lot. Is OST still in vogue? I see that MMP is reprinting some of the ASLSK games and they are almost ready to ship. I have a couple of those on pre-order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jon, yes I am all over the place with my WWII tactical, though I think my OST had a 9 - 10 year reign. OST has now given way to ASLSK and Panzer. I have just heard that the ASLSK reprints have land in America and are progressing through customs.

      The re-run, I really like the post and so is worth pulling back through, but at the moment the way Blogger is, it is not worth writing an equally long post on the game from fresh, so a re-print is a good fit with all of that.

      Delete
  2. Great report Norm and well worth a re-print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ben, I think it is one of the few posts that I have come across that as a boardgame subject, can be enjoyed by both boardgames and figure only gamers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a board game person, last played way back in the late 1970s! I did enjoy them though. Just to let you know that this post appeared in my feed after a few hours! I have made a post to see if it appears in other folks feeds has quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil, you post is not in my list yet, but fingers crossed. It appears to be something to do with the http / https status of the blogger, it would appear that mine is set to pull all https posts through.

      I think the idea behind the artwork on this game box (produced 2012) was to evoke the spirit of 'Panzerblitz' by Avalon Hill - possibly one of the biggest selling boardgame of all time, to tug at the nostalgia strings.

      Delete
    2. The game I had looks similar from memory, definitely an Eastern Front setting though.

      Delete
    3. It probably is, the game is still being played today. There must be loads of copies tucked away in attics.

      Delete
  5. I remember this, thought it was about a year ago!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eight years! wow, how did that happen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nice re-read this morning and I can see that this level of action would appeal to the 'What A Tanker!' fraternity. Nice to have some random factors in the woods re: being able to go hull down or not. This post appeared in my Blog roll, but not my Reading list, but another Blogger's post being the reverse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has now appeared in my Reading list along with some other posts from other Bloggers. So there is still a time lag with the posts as well as them appearing or not as the case maybe.

      Delete
    2. Hi Steve, game is a bit old school modifier and stats based, yet the narrative quality remains high.

      As for blogger it does still seem to be all over the place and as we emerge from the current difficulty, we are reminded that the older lag problem is still an issue.

      Delete
    3. Norm, having put in the Feedburner Bypass fix, your posts appear quickly, typically within minutes. The old lag problem is still an issue for those that have not implemented this fix.

      Delete
    4. Thanks Jon, another interesting area of note.

      Delete
  8. Ah yes, I remember reading that at the time. Certainly a very sharp action! Those Soviet tankers were really lucky.... BTW this post seemed to appear pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Martin, for something so simple, it does have the memorable quality about it. I spent a bit of time researching training schools and somewhere in the archive is a similar post which had the tank school instructors drafted into the front line!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just been over to read the 2018 post. I can see why it is one of your favourites. It is very intetestingly written, Norm. Very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Richard, thank you, I know you favour narrative based games.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well worth pulling back to the top of the blog, Norm! That original "Tale of Two Tank Platoons" was a fantastic read, and integrating historical crew perspective gave the game report a brilliant narrative edge.

    I've never actually played GMT's Panzer myself, but your write-up makes a compelling case for it.

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting.