Alex Testo has developed a set of rules inspired by the DBx stable of rules, specifically covering the Napoleonic period.
They are well written and presented, with some nice detail. At its heart, the basic game engine is delightfully smooth and so play runs easily off a simple Quick Reference Sheet.
Having read the rules twice, I am left with an impression that most game queries are going to be likely answered in the rules.
One of the important elements that Alex has brought is the concept of attrition. Combat is by opposed die rolls plus modifiers. If you score higher than the enemy then a hit is applied, score double or more and you inflict 2 hits or something more serious!
The first hit is just a hit, two hits make the unit shaken and on the third hit, a unit is removed from play. Units do not get a chance to recover from hits.
I am presently collecting two napoleonic armies, my 28mm French / Austrian and my new project of Epic scale French / Prussian. The former are well established on 80mm bases, the later are on 55mm bases, but the project is so new that now would be the time to change basing without any real disruption.
In wanting to get these rules to the table as soon as possible, I face three initial possibilities on scale and basing;
The rule set prescribes base sizes of 40mm frontage for 15mm and smaller and 60mm for 25 / 28mm. A single musket base is representing something like a brigade.
Firstly I could re-base specifically to the measurements prescribed in the rules.
OR
My Epic can be placed on 55mm frontages. I’m not a big fan of the 55mm infantry strips sitting on the supplied 60mm bases, because you end up with a small gap at the end of the line, that can look a bit odd when placed next to a similar base, so I snip the rounded ends of the strips and attach them to a 55mm base, a nice tight fit.
![]() |
| Click on me! |
For my new Pocket Army project, I have the infantry currently on 35mm deep bases, which allows for 3 ranks. That makes for a musket unit with 3 ranks of 10 men, so 30 heads to the base, which has a nice density to it.
I will refit the cavalry to the same frontage (4 mounted for my dragoons shown above), but wanting 2 ranks (8 mounted) to make them look right next to the infantry, with a little bit of mass about them, they need to go on a 55 x 60 bases.
The artillery can happily could have a frontage of 2 guns with crew on a 55 x 40, though looking at conversions in the rules setting them at 60 deep would be fine.
If I went with this, then in moving from a 40mm to 55mm frontage per unit, I should increase all measurements by a factor of 1.375, so on the measuring ruler, 100 Paces should be raised from 25mm to 35mm. So for example, muskets fire at 200 Paces, so with this change, would fire at 70mm instead of 50mm.
I have asked Alex for a bit of advice on the subject of base size and he has said that the infantry and cavalry should really be on the same depth of base, so I may need to visually enjoy them as per above, but if forced to recoil etc, I might need to ‘imagine’ that the infantry have the same base depth as the cavalry. He also suggested that the 28mm artillery should have a 80 x 80 base placed underneath it, to keep everything true.
OR
If using my 28's, then they could stay on their 80mm bases and a similar process would see a doubling of the basic measurement, with 100 Paces being represented by 50mm instead of 25mm (exactly doubled), so my home made ruler would be marked up in 50mm (2") increments with musket bases as an example, firing at 200 Paces (100mm).
For the basic 12 element game, which in the rulebook uses a 2’ x 2’ battlefield in 15mm on 40mm frontages, I would need to grow the table to a 3’ x 3’ or just slightly less for the Epic and to 4’ x 4’ for the 28’s. In each case, you are really looking at the concept of a Pocket Army playing in a small space, which I like.
Alex describes the 12 element army as a corps sized formation and the rules have scope to increase the number of ‘corps’ used per side to give a bigger game, much like ‘big army DBA’ does.
In this case, the battlefield would widen by 1 foot (300mm) per additional formation (corps). These bigger armies also accommodate multi-player games and can reflect some of the bigger historical multi corps battles. There are videos on Alex’s YouTube channel that have AAR’s on Eylau, Leipzig, Borodino, Ligny and Waterloo as examples.
Anyway, for now, I will do some knock-about games with my 28’s as that gives me fully painted forces, but as a project, I will chip away at the Epic scale as I need something that gets me away from the table where I stand, to the table where I can sit.
Every now and then, something comes along to re-enthuse and I am seeing DBN in that light. There will be more to come on this here, while over at over at the Commanders site I may set up a specific DBN page and put updates there.
Resources;
My Commanders site is just some extra webspace that I use to do the more snippet based type of posts and project discussion. It is paid for and advert free. LINK
https://commanders.simdif.com/dear_diary.html
The DBN site (for a copy of the rules, go to DOWNLOAD or if you want a hard copy, go to MORE and click on the CONTACT page to make your request) LINK
https://dbnwargaming.weebly.com/
For a video AAR of Quatre Bras LINK




Crikey Norm - that takes me back - I was playing that (v2.1) back in 2020.. gave up after several months as the game just didn't feel right - too many mechanics that didn't seem right.. be good to see your thoughts on them...
ReplyDeleteHi Steve, that's interesting, I plan to use my 28's initially so should get a full game and a full feel, before I do any serious re-basing. I do like the look of things and will post on that journey.
DeleteGood to see these have given you some renewed impetus for your Nappies forces, even though it comes with the seemingly inevitable (these days) basing conundrums. I tried DBA et al, but they just never grabbed me, probably due to the dreadful 'Barkerese' that they were written in!
ReplyDeleteBTW, as you probably know, Blogger is not showing updates on Blog Rolls, Feeds etc, so found this via your Commanders site. I've recieved and email which states the issue has been flagged and is being worked upon...
Hi Steve, thanks, I didn't know that about Blogger, I just thought it had gone very quiet and that it might pick up over the weekend. Blogger seems to choose to collapse whenever there is something I am excited about! At least it seems this particular Blogger problem is being worked on in the background.
ReplyDeleteOn the positive side, it is encouraging me to do shorter posts :-)
I have travelled the DBA route some years ago (I always thought the Barkers was okay ..... but perhaps I didn't read / play them properly ... all very likely :-) ), but I think these are decidedly different with the attrition thing going on, rather than just recoils and elims.
I hope to push the Epic basing in a direction that I can use here and also use see elsewhere if needed.