Wednesday 5 April 2023

Campaign design 1815




I have been somewhat inspired to step into the world of napoleonic campaigning following a two part article in the wargames Illustrated magazine, issues March (423) and April (424).


Jervis Johnson, who put together the Valour & Fortitude rules (free on the Perry site) for napoleonic battles, has developed a campaign system that he has called Strategy & Guile.


The March issue of the magazine introduces us to Strategy & Guile, with the system and background notes and the April issue gives us a sample scenario for ‘The War of Liberation, 1813’.


Suitably taken by the whole thing, I set about writing up a battle game for the battle of Wavre 1815, intending to fight a one day battle, but using a campaign style game engine for the divisions / brigades to manoeuvre and fight over in the Wavre setting.


At the back of my mind is to run this as a 10 player, play by e-mail game for readers of this blog who may wish to get involved.


Anyway, I have burned the midnight oil over the past week, getting the form of this together and it looks like I have a workable game. 


To date I have created the map, got good orders-of-battle, created player briefing packages and have a system to underpin the management of orders, moving and fighting etc. The victory points have been worked out and I am into the fine tuning part now.


I will be using my (mostly unpainted) Warlord Games Epic French / Prussian forces, simply because there are enough in the starter boxes to cover the various unit types and numbers that I might need for the bigger battles.


I still haven’t decided which set of rules to go with. Front runners are Valour & Fortitude, Shadow of the Eagles, Black Powder and my own home brew rules.


As I think about this, there are three areas that I know the rules will need to deal with adequately; 


The various contacts that will be created in the game will run from patrol activity to divisional (or bigger) actions. 


Then as contacts happen, I am looking at how casualties and degrading of formation capability arising from the tabletop game can be carried over into permanent loss in the game, with unit capability reduced in an acceptable and sustainable way.


There will be quite a lot of contact made in areas that have hamlets, small villages and Wavre itself, so the handling of built up areas will be important.


So for example, Black Powder on the face of it, makes buildings quite tough, but the ‘ratings’ of buildings can be changed, which would be good when trying to highlight the difference between a small settlement and a big chunk of Wavre - though, as it takes a good while to eject units from buildings, you don’t so easily get that too and fro of villages being taken, lost, taken again and then lost again within the timeframe of a single action, though tweaking of any of the rules gets you closer to that sort of thing.


Anyway, as a ‘thing’ it is at a fairly advanced stage and perhaps making it ‘live’ is more dependent upon my mood of wanting to set aside the actual time needed to run an e-mail campaign, than anything else. My Germantown campaign game, to me at least, seemed very successful, the Midway proposition did not even get off the ground, so I will see what my fine tuning brings and hope that the enthusiasm remains high.


In the meantime, today, I did an exercise with Shadow of the Eagles rules (by Kieth Flint). The idea was to test a brigade (French) Vs Regiment (Prussian) level of engagement, with the capture of a small hamlet as the objective. What I wanted to see is how the attack on a BUA felt and at the end of play, what did the number of hits per unit look like and how that could or should translate into permanent damage for later in the campaign.


I selected two sample units from the campaign list. For the French, they had 1st Brigade (commanded by Dufour) from 11th Infantry Division, giving them 12th Line (2 battalions) and 56th Line (2 battalions). They also had the divisional artillery with them (17th Foot Artillery).


For the Prussians, they had 5th Kurmark Landwehr (commanded by Major von Welling) from 12th Infantry Brigade, giving them three battalions of landwehr, plus 35th Foot Artillery. 


The rules suggest that for 1815, the Prussian Landwehr will be 50% regular and 50% inferior. With three infantry units on the table, I chose to just make one of them inferior.


Anyway, this is the opening situation. I have chosen to represent battalions with 3 bases.


Click to enlarge



The French artillery didn’t do as much harm to the BUA as I thought it would. There was a -1 for range and another -1 for cover, so they needed to roll a 6 on 2 dice for hits, but a couple of hits did eventually get through (the pre-game bombardment didn’t give the attackers anything!).


Set on a 4’ x 3½’ table 



The two French line regiments advanced. On the left, the first battalion got roughly handled and had to fall back and the wing became something of a stalemate for a while


On the right, the 1st battalion of the French regiment, faced poor shooting by the defenders at the BUA and so were able to storm the BUA with relative ease. The defender result was to pull back 4” and suffer an additional hit.


This freed up the second French battalion on the right to go into column and attempt to cover the ground to attack the Prussian regiment that was sitting on the Prussian left, which was the ‘inferior’ unit and had already taken a hit from the artillery ….. but the French column was now operating beyond command range and had to test for each attempt to move towards the Prussians. 


A determined Prussian volley threw the French column back and this gave the Prussian unit enough space to disengage safely. With the BUA lost, the Prussians accepted that the time was right for a general retreat, leaving the French to hold the field and preserving as much of their own force as they could.


That all seemed to go quite well, it gave an enjoyable exercise and felt right.


In the game, units accrue hits and depending upon unit quality, at some point will receive enough hits to be declared weakened and then a few more hits will push them into rout. Units do get a chance to rally some of their hits off.


At the end of play, two Prussian battalions were weakened as was one French battalion. One other weakened French battalion had rallied back to good order and none of the units had taken enough hits to rout … though one from each side came close, before they broke contact and rallied a couple of hits off.


At the moment, I am thinking that a weakened unit in a battle should be given a permanent hit for the rest of the campaign, a unit at one hit below the rout level should be given 2 permanent hits and that a routed unit should be given a 50 / 50 chance of being either totally lost, or being given 2 permanent hits.


Anyway, on with the fine tuning. If I do put this up as a game and invite participants, I will of course give those who signed up to the Midway game (which didn’t get enough numbers to go ahead) an automatic opportunity to have a place in the game and as before, it will be names in the hat if there is an excess of interested gamers …. but it will be for a future post to call up for recruits! the above is just a design ramble :-)


Resource Section.


My sister webspace ‘COMMANDERS’ is being re-configured to showcase various figure and boardgame systems that I am enjoying and gives a flavour of where current projects are up to. Link.


https://commanders.simdif.com


21 comments:

  1. Inspiring stuff there Norm, I look forward to seeing where you go with your plans for a Napoleonic campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Keith, I am trying to give various parts a dummy run to test for system failures. There is one area that already fails the practicalities aspect, which is the march rate Vs road capacity Vs being able deliver a strong enough attack against a consolidated defender, but this I think at its heart is about location capacity (stacking in boardgame terms), but an important area to iron out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it’s too early to chuck my cocked hat in the ring for this, but here we go anyway. “Chucks cocked hat into ring”. Lol. Looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks JB, this is getting 100% attention at the moment, so there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. I will try to work it that players have minimal ‘tasking’, but rather can just enjoy the participation ofthe thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant when the time is right I want to be in 😁 I haven’t read the article yet but when I purchased Shakos Napoleon 1815 I bought the excellent neoprene campaign map which I intend to use for the campaign and you may just point me in the right direction for rules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Graham, I’m sure the fog of war aspect will what ultimately marks this out as pass or fail. In the Germantown game, it was only when I did the after action report that those involved got an understanding of what was happening in the bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All good stuff Norm and interesting to see how SotE played out with just a few units per side. As you say about BPII, the big issue with those rules is not making BUA's too strong, as you do want a bit of to and fro to contest control. Depending upon when you might run this, count me in and I'm quite happy to play on the Prussian side.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Steve, my reading shows some villages taken, lost and re-taken, so I want something that shows that flow. As I have mentioned before, units in SotE have enough fight in them for one thing and then generally they are ‘weakened’ and need some time to recover - and a good (if not different way) to show how other units in support, can support, by physically taking over the task.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a very interesting undertaking. I know that your Germantown game was great fun, full of suspense and a bit of drama. I remain on the fenceregarding the choice of using unpainted armies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jonathan, yes Germantown worked out quite well. The ‘great unpainted’ is just a convenience that serves a moment in time. I like the idea of a napoleonic battle / campaign, I have some good source info for Wavre and the two epic boxes will meet the demands of figures needed and unit types needed, so it is a practical solution, plus I would rather have the game than not have it if painting was the only obstacle.

    As I do this, I have just put a 28mm Austrian 6 pdr together, to allow me to replay the above scenario with French / Austrian 28mm forces and the same rules, as on a personal wargaming level, the napoleonic scale / rule thing is still unresolved for me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Norm, do like many of us do. That is, play Napoleonics at multiple levels and multiple scales. Who says one must choose?

      Delete
  11. My space is the prime mover, egged along by my need (and personality type) to keep distraction to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the information Norm I now need to go back to the magazines and have a closer look 🤔

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Matt, having the two issues side by side does make for a complete read. For my own efforts, I have departed from the system presented, but I am grateful to them for putting me onto a certain path.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well if you’re gonna have a lot of players generating lots of battles you probably want something that can play really fast.
    Also would be nice if the rules were familiar or at least easily available and/or the OOB included stats for unit comparisons so that hypothetically if someone super witty and handsome wanted to play but knew nothing of nsps might have the ability to gauge what is what. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hypothetically, super witty and handsome people would get all of those things :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds super interesting, I look forward to following it, good luck herding cats, especially the super witty, handsome types, always trouble!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, there have been a few bumps in the play test, but of course that is what play tests are exactly for. Hopefully one lot of herded cats against another lot of herded cats …. Should work itself out …. or go catastrophically wrong!, luckily we can all blame the dice :-)

      Delete
  17. Very interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing. We've played SotE and really enjoy them- but felt that the artillery lacked punch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi John, yes the guns feel under-powered compared to some systems, though I have most recently been playing Valour & Fortitude and those guns are rolling just 1 dice for hits, so SotE doesn’t feel too out of kilter with my recent playing - though one does have to watch out for the enemy charging guns frontally, if they get into that position then the guns are likely swept away! So I am putting guns into more considered positions … which may be the designers point.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your insightful post on campaign design in 1815. Your historical perspectives are truly fascinating!
    check cashing apps that don't use ingo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment