Bosworth 1485 - The Downfall of Richard III by Christopher Gravett, published by Osprey Publishing
There is now a watershed for the telling of the Bosworth story.
Prior to 2009, the account was centred on the battle taking place at Ambion Hill, very much reinforced by the Local Authority deciding to build their visitor centre there, together with an associated battlefield walk.
In 2009 two archeologists, Glenn Foarde and Ann Curry, funded to the tune of one million pounds, discovered that the battlefield was actually 2 miles away from Ambion Hill. The new site was complete with finds of artillery shot and some artifacts, though notably no arrowheads have been found. It is broadly accepted that this is the site of the battle.
Christopher Gravett had already written about Bosworth for Osprey before 2009, so this new book was a re-evaluation based around the new location and evidence.
We get the usual style and format of the Osprey ‘Campaign’ series, so it is an easy read with plenty of illustration and good maps that support the account.
It begins with a bit of background to the Wars of the Roses and then moves on to the reputations and personalities of King Richard III and Henry Tudor.
Henry, part funded by France, lands in Wales with his invasion force and then we have the important indications as to how popular his grab for the crown might be, by those on his journey who fall in behind him and those who are less certain bedfellows.
Once we get to the battlefield, the intrigue of who will remain loyal, switch sides or just not participate in the fight becomes key to developing the battle story, but it is all somewhat tamed by the simple fact that despite this being a pivotal late medieval battle and occurring just over 500 years ago, we are still unsure about many things, including how armies actually fought, where they deployed and the true actions / intentions of some key commanders.
The battle is described in some detail, with Gravett taking the view that the king’s army was deployed in a very long line, which would have put Northumberland on Richards left flank and by implication, on the other side of the marsh, with Northumberland and Lord Stanley perhaps holding each other in check.
The text concludes with a summary of Henry’s later years as king.
I have been wanting to do a wargame scenario on this battle, so I deliberately bought this title as a post 2009 guide to the latest thinking on the battle location, the line of march, the dispositions and the conduct of the battle and it does a good job in imparting the necessary information and taken alone, I would have accepted all of that.
However, I also bought Richard III and The Battle of Bosworth by Mike Ingham, published by Hellion, which is also a post 2009 book, so that I would get the broadest picture possible of events.
Both books are very good ……. But, rather than help the scenario build, they disagree on battlefield deployment, with Ingram having the armies located parallel to the Roman road, fighting across it, while Gravett has the armies positioned as though they had deployed directly from road march, fanning out, so that the road ran through both armies.
The difference between the two accounts gives a 90˚ tilt of the battlefield. From a scenario design perspective that is not as significant as it might seem as both accounts maintain that a marsh covered Oxfords right flank and we can use that as a central pivot.
Where there are important differences, it is on the actual deployment of troops. As stated, Gravett has Northumberland in extended line beyond the marsh, which in effect isolates his influence from the fighting between the vanguards of Oxford and Norfolk, though does put him closer to the Stanleys.
By contrast Ingram has the royal army deployed in depth, with Norfolk in front, followed by Richard, followed by Northumberland. This puts the entire royal army in front of Oxford and the impact of the marsh is one of simply shrinking the available frontage of both armies to fit that gap, though again making it harder for the royal army to bring their full numbers to bear at once.
Ingram takes us a step further by showing the French contingent suddenly appearing on the left of Oxford, in effect becoming an independent flanking force arriving against Norfolk and Ingram goes as far as to describe the French as being Henry’s vanguard. [the sentiment being that though the French presence was important to the outcome, it has been deliberately diminished by subsequent Tudor accounts].
So having found a new battle site (not Ambion Hill) the narrative of deployment is still open to interpretation, which I find frustrating from a scenario design point of view, but very satisfying from the intrigue of an evidential analysis perspective.
Rather than choosing which text I prefer, it leads me instead to conclude that each book enhances the other. Both reach their conclusions by evidence / source based reckoning. I’m not sure how Ingrams version of the meeting forces wheeling from road movement, to moving either side of the road in such a clean and tidy way works.
The Gravett solution deals with the approach of the armies by road, with the forces fanning out from march formation into position, with the road ending up running through the positions of both armies.
I do like that Gravett opens his account with the advice that ‘What follows is one view of events on that summer day in 1485’, Ingrams account might as well say the same thing and so both books sit easily on my shelf to be enjoyed.
From the Book;
‘The retainer recruited men from his own household and obtained lesser men such as archers or billmen, from his tenantry, paying for their services.’
‘The Song of Lady Bessy says Lord Stanley, Sir William Stanley and Gilbert Talbot met together 3rd May and pledged support for Henry’s bid for the crown.’
‘Even Lord Stanley was granted permission to return to his seat at Lathom in Lancashire to organise his troops.’
‘The rebel division manoeuvred left, keeping the marsh to their
right side.’
‘… no arrowheads have been found, but a brisk exchange must have taken place as the distance between the two sides closed. It would also be at this stage that any hand-gunners present would have opened fire.’
‘During this struggle between the vanguards, Norfolk’s troops began to lose cohesion and the line was slowly pushed back.’
‘Perhaps at this juncture Lord Stanley’s persistent refusal to join the royal army spurred Richard to demand his son’s death, something that would have been performed in full view of everyone.’ [blog note - Richard held Stanley’s son, Lord Strange, as hostage and he was present on the battlefield].
‘Salazar is also said to have advised Richard to escape the field, but he refused.’
‘At full gallop, perhaps some 200 fully armoured cavalry closed on the troops surrounding Henry.’
Resource Section.
My sister webspace ‘COMMANDERS’ showcases the various figure and boardgame systems that I am enjoying and gives a flavour of where current projects are up to. Link.
https://commanders.simdif.com/dear_diary.html

Good luck with creating your wargame for this battle. Based upon the limited sources a few what ifs could easily be added to the scenario.
ReplyDeleteHi Peter, it is the perfect what if / special events type battle. I also picked up Bosworth - The Archaeology of the Battlefield by Richard Mackinder, published by Pen and Sword (it was in a remainder book store).
DeleteThis is very helpful as it plots the finds on the battlefield and offers an account and for me, it has been a cheaper way in to getting a feel for the Foarde / Curry archaeology reports and conclusions.
So are you any closer to creating your scenario Norm?! I don't think anyone will ever know exactly where the battle was or the alignment of the forces so really, whatever you think represents an acceptable version of the battle is perfectly reasonable as your scenario.
ReplyDeleteHi Kieth, I set a game up yesterday, which was a zoomed in and cut down version of the action, which centres upon the French flank attack (something understated in the Tudor accounts), so more on that soon.
DeleteI think you are exactly right on representation for presentation, as long as the essential elements of the battlefield are present, everything else can hang off that. Themed and Representational are fine in my books.
Maybe two scenarios Norm?
ReplyDeleteIt would be interesting if one of the scenarios' results aligned with history more than the other....although obviously not conclusive.
Richard was definitely all in on the battle and not mucking about 😮
Hi Ben, once I saw the conflict with the second read, going to two scenarios was my first thought. As I get drawn deeper into the topic, I think I could narrow that down to two variants of essentially the same scenario ....... BUT, I would like to also do a totally different scenario ...... the battle at Ambion Hill, the place that just 15 years ago, we all thought the battle occurred .... and maybe it did :-)
DeleteLook forward to seeing what you do scenario wise Norm, the battle certainly leaves a lot of options open to you.
ReplyDeleteHi Donnie, this is very much an open sourced affair with enough variables to keep any chaos lover happy - though a wargaming problem that has always been present with a non-scripted free for all is that IF Northumberland behaves as Richard expected and gets stuck in and IF the Stanleys acted as Richards ally as expected / hoped, then Henry's smaller army is left overwhelmed and while something within the range of historical possibilities falls out of that, it would be a hugely one sided game - though of course part of the game is exploring those very same variables. Not all players would up for that kind of thrashing.
DeleteI look forward to seeing your zoomed in action from the battle in due course Norm:). IIRC Ingram's book uses the ridge and furrow of a field/s to help back up his deployment, arguing that going along them is easier than over them (or vice versa?). I think as long as you get the main terrain sorted as you mention re: the marsh, then that's the best one can hope for given the scant information we have. As for the lack of arrowheads, I wonder if any ferrous metals simply rusted away, given how small they were. Also how prominent was the archery in this battle? Maybe time to re-read Ingram's book...
ReplyDeleteHi Steve, Yes Ingram takes the ridge and furrow into account when suggesting deployment. On dipping into the Mackinder book, it appears the lack of arrow finds was due to a lack of ferrous detecting - odd! I will check my sources for the Battle of Towton, where arrows were used in their tens of thousands and see what remains of them. Mackinder does suggest that arrowheads need to survive 500 years of the plough.
DeleteWhen I read Gravett, the archery is not specifically described and I was left feeling that it was rather 'assumed', as there were plenty of archers there. The accounts seem to concern themselves more with the melee clash.
hand gunners seem to be given mention over crossbow ..... a shame, since I have just painted crossbow :-), however they WILL be used :-)
Odd that they didn't use metal detectors, given that this might have helped to reinforce the starting positons of both sides, given the usual archery harassing shooting prior to melee etc. Interesting to find out what Towton might reveal about the remains, if any, of said heads. Given they were an important resource, I do wonder if they were collected at the end of a battle for re-use on new fletched shats etc.
DeleteYes, I am being pulled in to doing some deeper reading. The point about probable re-cycling of arrows is well made, I would love to find a reference to that being a ‘thing’.
DeleteWhatever you go with from a scenario pov, I'm sure it will be better than the film version of Richard III,fought among Spanish orange groves!
ReplyDeleteOh No! :-)
ReplyDeleteAn interesting read Norm I shall look forward to your gaming table re-enactment(s). The Tudor chroniclers down playing the role of the French sounds par for the course being prime propagandists 🙂
ReplyDeleteHi Phil, I am only just beginning to see just how badly the French are represented in the traditional Tudor accounts. Ingram certainly sets about restoring their significance.
ReplyDeleteWhat do you think of the Test of Resolve scenario?
ReplyDeleteHi David, I have not played it yet, but I very much like the look of it. The choice has clearly been to go with the Ingram version of deployment as the armies straddle the road and they have the French already poised to attack the Yorkist flank, though they are actually off board and need to be activated.
Deletethey have followed the traditional design choice of having to activate Northumberland and the Stanleys, but it is a case of if and when they will get involved for their respective side and not a lottery as to which side they will fight for, I like that.
If Northumberland does enter the battle, his forces contain two inferior arrays and from my reading, they were described as a somewhat young and inexperienced force, which may be why they retreated, when they saw Norfolk being battered, so there are some subtle aspects to force content.
There is an event for Richard finding a gap in the line and being able to attack Henry directly and I very much like that scripting and their cards mechanic helps that happen.
If I were to nit-pick, I would have preferred to see the Stanleys as two separate bodies, with Lord Stanley being harder to activating and only activating after Sir William Stanley had done so.
But over-all, they have jumped off the Bosworth fence and come up with a solid scenario that looks like it will make a good two player game. I would be more than happy to play it.
Sorry David, did not realise it was your good self, very nice and really enjoying ToR. Norm
DeleteA large part of scenario design and development rests on background reading to get a sense of the time and space relationship. Finding two revisionist sources that still differ on deployment provides some interesting choices. I await to see what you decide. Reject Big Lee spent considerable time looking into this battle for his scenario. Perhaps his blog would provide some inspiration and answers?
ReplyDeleteHi Jon, Big Lee's blog is a helpful source and has helped me in looking at the balance of force between what was in Norfolks line and what was in Richards line - a hugely important matter if the French gain the flank. His opening has the French on the left, with a prospect of taking a flank position, I am starting the scenario later and have the French already in the flanking position (as per the Test of Resolve scenario) - but off board, it is this very point that I am hung up on at the moment, is Richard strong enough alone to counter that French threat, while a) meeting historical strengths and b) having enough balance to give a good game and importantly, allowing Richard and his mounted household to remain uncommitted, so that they can still have the potential do the game changing direct attack against Henry Tudor. It is all in the pot :-)
ReplyDeleteInteresting as always Norm, I did an online course headed by Anne Curry about Agincourt and I have her book on said battle, I think shes a really good historian , I remember her Bosworth book coming out but it was a bit pricey for me! Its funny but Barnet, another wotr battlefield has also moved around a fair bit, we seem to be back at the once derided victorian position, where the monument is. The dispotions are generally agreed on ,although the earliest report swaps Glouster to the opposite flank, which is also the flank that fell back and took the most damage, Ive often wondered if it might have been correct and we just ended up with some Yorkist spin? Im sure you can put a fine scenario together from the various sources!
ReplyDeleteBest Iain
Hi Iain, I pulled back from the Foard / Curry book as I'm pretty sure that the price at the time was over £50. Doing all of this Bosworth stuff has had me thinking of also going back and doing a scenario that 15+ years ago we would have considered the traditional site and to which the Bosworth Battlefield Centre still allow for that battle walk.
DeleteRe Barnet , Hastings and others, it is surprising how easily the proposer can get the evidence to fit the shift of emphasis. I sometimes think that if you just zoom into a battlefield and put the features in that are discussed in the known narrative, such as the small hillock on the Norman left at Hastings or the farmhouses at Waterloo, then everything else can pretty much hang off them for the sake of a good game.
I found new copies of Foarde and Curry early this year on Thiftbooks for USD$47 shipping included.
DeleteFor information just on the finds, I have enjoyed Richard Mackinders book. he is a detectorist, who seems keen on there being an ongoing investigation to expand the realm of finds. He raises some good points as to why finds may not have been originally found and that it justifies going over some of those same sites again.
DeleteConflicting interpretations are the stuff of the scenario writer, Norm! I'm sure you will enjoy the process.
ReplyDeleteThis though (to ride a hobby horse) is exactly why I find the GMT GBoH/Men of Iron/Musket and Pike series 'map for each battle' approach frustrating. Every time there is new information the map and scenario become obselete! To me this reinforces the value of flexible options such as miniatures games or basic game boards and terrain piece overlays.
Cheers,
Aaron.
Good point about the static nature of game maps. Perhaps GMT ought to release new maps showing the latest research to keep their games fresh?
DeleteI think they do do that to some extent, but it still means you need to upgrade to the latest edition of the game!
DeleteHi Aaron, yes I agree, map errata is difficult for the eye/brain to reconcile, though sometimes I think we are too fast to embrace the 'latest findings and thoughts' as Iain's description above attests to.
ReplyDeleteIt is fascinating though to follow how some evidence is translated - of Bosworth, I have just been reading that Philippa Langley came across a document that was Percy's (Northumberland) last will & testament. He made it a month before the battle and ten of the recipients of his estate were Yorkist and so from a non-battle specific document comes this sense drawn that Northumberland was in belief that he would be fighting and that his will favoured Yorkists, ergo, it was likely that he might have at least intended to support Richard .... or at least it can be added into the mix of an author looking for evidence to support allegiance.
Well, that is interesting!
DeleteYes, I just love snippets like that. There must be some gems tucked away in archived publications just waiting to be discovered.
DeleteNice Norm, my WoTR project is still in the ‘thinking ‘ phase t the moment but I’m leaning towards smaller scale sos I can adequately represent these larger battles of the period ?
ReplyDeleteHi Matt, the new Epic release from Warlord has been announced (Zulu) and I think many were hoping that it would be WotR.
ReplyDeletePeter Pig do rather a nice WotR range in 15mm as do Kallistra in 12mm.
A particularly tricky challenge. On the plus side, you have a selection of alternative scenarios to game and compare if you so which.
ReplyDeleteHi Richard, Bosworth is the most ‘versatile’ battle I know of in terms of scenario possibilities, I’m trying to sound positive 😀
ReplyDeleteExcellent research, I would recommend Foard and Curry's book, that kick starts all of this off, if you haven already read it.
ReplyDeleteHi Stuart, thanks for dropping by. When I originally looked at Foard & Curry, I felt they were too expensive and so went down a route of buying other titles including Mackinder. The irony being that I spent just as much going down that route!
ReplyDelete