I came across a couple of accounts that reflect the formidable nature of the KV1 tank and the surprise of German tank crews as they came across these behemoths of their day.
24th June 1941, the opening days of Operation Barbarossa, near Raseina. A lone KV1 held up a German combat group for a day at strategic crossroads.
20th August 1941, near Leningrad, a single hull down KV1, held up 8th Panzer Division, destroying 22 German tanks and receiving 156 hits!
I have recently re-bought back into the boardgame series Panzer, designed by James Day and published by GMT.
To re-familiarise myself with the tank part of the rules, doing a few knock-about games with just a few tanks would be a good rules intro and an opportunity to do a lone KV tank defending against the odds!
The expansion modules do include an early war KV, but I have not punched those counters out yet, so staying with the core title, I do have a KV-1S (42). There is a scenario in the box that has them in use in late '43. For the Germans, the same scenario has Pz IIIM's, so that's that!
A few notes .... both sides are counted as seasoned. The lone KV is worth 64 points and a platoon of four Pz IIIM's is worth 212 points - so that's fair :-)
The German tanks with ordinary AP shells for their 50/60 guns cannot penetrate the KV frontally, though they may get a lucky track shot. If they get a bit closer and have APCR rounds (random test), they can knock a KV out frontally.
In contrast, the Soviet 76.2 / 43, can likely see off the more lightly armoured Pz III's.
![]() |
| At Start |
Above - in our game, the lone KV-1S is on hill A.17 (map A), a low feature, the four Panzer III's with enter the board (above left circle with grey counters) 1200 metres away.
The game does come with beginner / advanced and optional rules. I will be using the beginner rules, but as I have played before, the gun / armour / shooting system will be swapped out for the advanced rules and command rules will be added.
We shall resurrect our old east front veterans, who we have previously met, Junior Lieutenant Ivan Sokolov in the KV and 1st Lieutenant Otto Müller in the tank marked 100.
Above is the data card for the Panzer IIIM. It will either scare you or delight!
The first time that I ran this, the German tanks got badly mauled, this is the second run.
Turn 1 - The Panzers enter play in a single stack. The KV is on an Overwatch order and fires at the moving target, causing damage to Müller's tank! The Panzers are under Move orders and even now at 900 metres distance they cannot harm the KV, even their APCR is unlikely to do the job.
Turn 2 - The Germans win the initiative, not that it matters as they just want to move ahead as fast as possible, so they won't be firing. The KV selects another German tank and fires - a miss!
Muller has been allocated two orders, he and another tank will edge a little closer with the hope that next turn, they have enough APCR to start engaging the KV frontally, while the other two tanks will move towards the bottom of the hill, which is a blind spot to the KV (due to the plateau nature of hill levels).
Turn 3 - The Soviets win the initiative, this is important now because they want to fire first. They hit one of the two tanks moving towards the blind spot and get a knockout. The Germans fire second.
Müller has APCR but misses.
Tank 101 (that stayed back with Müller) in haste, load up AP and miss.
Tank 102 was brewed up at the start of this turn.
Tank 103 Moves to the lower side of the hill (see below).
At this point, I would be inclined to pull the KV out, it is about to become compromised, but in our opening accounts, the crews stayed at their post. Retreat / retire was not a practical option to them ... so Sokolov tells me that he is following their great example and staying put!
Turn 4 - This time it is the Germans that get the Initiative and they choose to fire first. Tank 101 has put APCR into the spout, fired and hit the KV front hull. At 700 metres the APCR penetrates with a value of 20, the KV, with a slight benefit from the higher ground has an armour value of 18, so is penetrated. Rolling on the results table gives us a knock-out.
Well that was short and sweet! The German platoon starting with 4 tanks has one destroyed and one damaged, a better result for them than in the previous game and tank 103 didn't have to risk exposing themselves when climbing the hill to get to point blank range (I did this in the last game and in the next turn, the Soviets won the initiative and fired first ..... knocking out the German tank.
This could be re-run a few times, easily getting different outcomes. The Germans need to have enough APCR to engage frontally, not a certain thing here as they need to roll 5 or less on a D10 each shot to get it, or get behind the KV to fire at the weaker armour, again not a certain thing, but perhaps help their chances would be helped with a track hit on the KV ...... not a certain thing :-)
So a very simple action and I am now back up and running with the core tank rules. It is time to add in some other rules and that is how this system works, you bolt rules on as and when you are ready to explore that part of the system.
I will go for scenario 1, which gives around 10 tanks per side, T-34's and Panzer IV's in a meeting engagement, Perhaps Otto Müller and Ivan Sokolov will grace us with another appearance :-)
The core Panzer module has just gone out of print for the third time. It is on the P500 list at GMT to hopefully be reprinted. In the meantime, the only new copy that I am aware of is at Second Chance Games (UK). I believe it is their last copy ...... because I was told that I bought the second to last copy - phew!
Resources.
I have another bit of webspace called COMMANDERS, it is more magaziney than here and updated frequently. LINK
https://commanders.simdif.com/dear_diary.html
There is another post about Ivan and Otto that highlights their respective tank training schools. LINK
https://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2018/09/panzer-and-tale-of-two-tank-platoons.html




Short, but not necessarily sweet, Norm! I have heard of Raseina but not the 20th August 1941, near Leningrad, event. You will possibly recall I did my own version of the Raseina action in 28mm - see here - https://1808534.blogspot.com/2025/08/finally-solo-game-even-though-its-not.html.
ReplyDeleteA great basis for a small solo action, as was your recent boardgame action.
Hi Keith, I recalled the story of the lone KV taking a huge amount of punishment from years ago, but couldn't remember the source. I checked all of my likely books - but nothing, so resorted to Google, which gave me two! The German early war stuff struggled against some French heavies and Soviet medium / heavies, yet they prevailed, giving some insight into what sort of things should be in our game rules.
ReplyDeleteGreat write-up! It's always fascinating reading those historical accounts of early-war Soviet heavy armour holding the line against impossible odds.
ReplyDeleteAll the best, Andy
Hi Andy, there is so much coverage of German success everywhere in '41 that it becomes assumed and the stand out stuff is more striking for that.
DeleteVery true, Norm! It's those isolated, against-the-odds moments that make for the most compelling history—and the best wargame scenarios!
DeleteAll the best, Andy
Great looking game sir!
ReplyDeleteThanks Michal, more to come I hope
ReplyDeleteI'd not thought to try later Panzer IIIs against KV1s. It hadn't occurred to me that the 50L60 couldn't handle a KV! Too much Tobruk I suspect, where the 50L60 armed Pz III was like an 88 on tracks.
ReplyDeleteI shall look forward to the future adventures of Sokolov and Mueller.
Hi Martin. The counter mix of the core game forced me to a KV-1S and the scenario that used. them was '43. To reflect the situation in '41, I needed a bit of an under-dog tank, so I thought 4 x Pz III's would do that, but I can see how they were still so useful in the mid war, especially once APCR becomes available.
ReplyDeleteIn the system, you can roll to see if THAT shot gets APCR and the Pz III seems to have a fair quota. However, if you fail the roll, not only do you default to AP instead, but there is a -3 modifying penalty to that fire .... I suppose to reflect the few seconds wasted looking for the APCR!
So really, only go for the APCR if you really need it. There is an optional rule that has a +3 / -3 variable on armour penetration, so if you just go off the gun / armour charts to see whether a penetration is possible, it is not a certainty because that variable kicks in, I think to represent the nuanced quirks of an actual hit, angle, armour shape, trap or whatever.
That is a very interesting approach to limited ammo. Normally it involves a roster or an availability check BEFORE you attempt to fire it. I guess it is more of a formation commanders pov than a tank commanders, as the latter would know very well if they had any APCR rounds. In Tobruk you had to record how many individual rounds each tank had!
DeleteA fun scenario Norm and a good way to understand the rules.
ReplyDeleteAlso it is great to remember the occasional Soviet victory amongst all the losses. I think from the German perspective every tank action must have been fraught, not knowing what will turn up, probably a BT light tank but just maybe a KV-1.
Hi Ben, yes, the same effect as the established 'Tiger Fright', where every tank became a Tiger in the minds of hose present.
DeleteVery interesting read Norm and a good way to get to grip with the rules too. The KV1 must have been an awesome beast to face.
ReplyDeleteHi Donnie, yes, just throwing some counters down and getting on with it, helps stop the learning becoming overwhelming, especially if you can throw a little interest in. Both KV-1 and T-34 were shock discoveries for the Germans. Both are tough in the game, but you need rules that reflect the better command and control of the German formations, which the full game does.
ReplyDeleteInteresting post, Norm. Continues to show that the Germans didn't always have it their own way in 1941.
ReplyDelete