Thursday 21 March 2024

Self printing home brew rules




I recently bought a PDF download supplement for some commercial rules and had them printed by an internet Print on Demand service (POD) and was surprised both by the commercial quality of the product and the accessible price.


This got me to thinking about having a single copy of my own ACW rules printed, so that at the very least, I would have a rather nice looking ‘proper’ rulebook to play from.


Up until now, I have kept my rules in one of those presentation files that has clear plastic sleeves that you slip the individual pages into. During play, if I need to make notes, I pull the sheets out and write on them and then every now and then, I do a complete re-read, edit and re-print and so it goes on while things get fine tuned, changed and then changed again!


The rules are now at a stage of being quite tight and certainly a lot of hours have gone into them. That is not to say they are good rules or that they model the subject well, but simply that I like them - obviously!


They have always had some colour artwork in them (maps and photo’s), but on the most recent edit, and to get ready for a PoD copy, I decided to take some better pictures.


This is not an aim for a final version, they still need continued playtesting and will have update and edit notes written in them (as painful as writing in / defacing a proper book will be!), but perhaps at this stage, the red ink does not need to flow as freely as was once the case!


I had designed a front cover, but had trouble inserting it without all of my tables and photographs slipping around (since getting my printed copy, this has now been fixed so will appear in my next printing).


The rules have been a living document in the ‘Pages’ app on the iPad for some years. I exported the file as a PDF and then uploaded it to a POD company. I used Doxdirect.com.


This PoD company makes uploading and buying really easy to do and there are a number of presentation configurations to choose from. You click the ‘Calculate’ button when you have listed what you want and get an instant quote. You can then go back in and change things and get another quote. This can be done as often as you like.


What I found interesting was my first selection gave a cost of £14.60 for a single unit.


I then tweaked a few things, mainly getting rid of saddle stitch and 120gm paper and the cost dropped to £10.64 (post free over £10).


Then I changed the print volume to 20 copies and this basically dropped the price to just over £5 per copy. My thinking is that once the rules are finalised, I might get a small print run done and this would make the items cheap enough to either gift and / or make a ‘not for profit’ charge.


This would essentially allow me to present the rules the way I want, with a goodly number of colour photos and maps etc, without someone asking can I create a ‘print friendly’ version etc. 


I know there are good social arguments for doing that, but I have spent a lot of time on these rules and it seems reasonable that I should expect the final presentation to fit with my vision of how it should all look.


It would also allow me to put on a presentation game at a show that are supported by some cheap rules for anyone particularly wanting a closer look - something that might have to be negotiated with show hosts of course and be something that the traders are happy with.


So, what did I get for my £10.64





A4 Wire Bound (cheaper than saddle stitch and more practical to using at the table - the above photo shows the rules folded to one of the Quick reference pages).


A 40 page document


80gm paper (the next option is 120gm, which is somewhat overkill, I wish there was an option between the two, say 100gm, but having ordered from them before, I knew 80gm is fine even for colour).


Double sides (so the booklet has 20 sheets, each printed front and back).


Full Colour (you only get two options, colour and B&W, so even though several pages are just text, if you want any colour, then it is the full colour option).


Front and Back on card (you can opt out of this, but it does protect the publication).


Note … Protective Covers (you can have additional protection, such as a clear plastic cover, but I did not take this option).


This doesn’t deal with the play aids, which I can do myself separately - though the three pages used for play aids are also in the rule book and the wire binding makes them easy to keep at hand.


The booklet has arrived and I am pleased with the production. Any failings are down to my non-professionalised approach to rule lay-out and presentation etc.





Since getting this, I have included a front cover in my text file. As the number of pages in the book must be divisible by 4, the cover puts me at 41 pages, so I have had to create another 3 pages. One is taken up by an inside front cover and the other two are at the rear of the book with a detailed example of play that I am working on.


At a recent wargame show, I picked up a napoleonic scenario book on the Leipzig campaign by Steve Shann. It is rather glorious and gave me some ideas on how to improve the presentation of my own rules.


His paper weight is clearly heavy and that seems to give sharper photos, so for my next printing, I will have a go at the 120gm paper. 


He also does all of the order of battles for each scenario on coloured backgrounds. It looks lovely …. but I also quite like the clinical and clean look of my black and white orders of battle, so I have decided to add what is best described as spot colour, with all headings done in the appropriate army colour, but keep it down at the pastel end of the vibrancy spectrum.


The photographs have all been given a shadow cast to lift them a bit.


I am tempted to re-order now, but it makes more sense to play a few more games to see whether the body of rules need changes and then do it, plus some more presentation tinkering is a certainty as I explore the idea more.


Anyway, I am only putting this post up simply because I know a ton of gamers have their own rules or adaptions knocking around somewhere and that formalising them into a coherent and nicely presented format might just be a fun aspect to pursue and you may feel that this sort of price is an acceptable deduction from your wargaming budget.


I am happy enough with this to now be looking at some of my other rules sets for similar treatment and of course the Chronicles of Piggy Longton might beg for a spot in the limelight and given the ‘brochure’ look :-)


Resource Section.


My sister webspace ‘COMMANDERS’  showcases the various figure and boardgame systems that I am enjoying and gives a flavour of where current projects are up to. Link.


https://commanders.simdif.com


39 comments:

  1. Well done Norm they really look the part, DD do a very fine job for the price point I had my CoC campaign rules done by them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil, the whole thing only took two or three days as they use the Royal Mail 48 postal service.

      Delete
  2. Nice presentation. When I buy pdf copies of rules I print and spiral-bind them at work as I don't like reading from a screen too much. Wire bound looks much nicer than the plastic spirals we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm not a screen fan either. The wire works well - no snagging when page turning.

      Delete
  3. They look very good, Norm. I purchased Stephen Thomas' "tillys very bad day" from a print on demand company (I think lulu?) for 14 dollars US and it was well worth it.

    I would definitely shell out the same if not more for TFON.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve, 14 Dollars is a good price when you think how much game time will fall from them.

    As always, you are too kind regarding TF-ON and have always been generous in your support of the rules. Once they are where I want them, I would most happily gift you a set.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A handsome printing and binding is a respectable treat for your work on the rules. It has been a very long time since I last saw TF-ON out on my table. Perhaps I should give them another look?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jonathan, in some respects, they became a little neglected as the Napoleonic set were worked on to bring them closer to TF-ON and then once done, the Napoleon set again took their own path, particularly in relation to skirmishers and cavalry.

    the set that would interest you most, the hex set, have just sat outside the race and all pretence of keeping them up to speed with the open table version has evaporated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A really interesting post Norm, I have PDF rule sets but I am not a fan of looking at a screen, printing them would be a great option for me, and it seems an easy option nowadays, your post has certainly got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donnie, I can see me being a regular user.

      Delete
  8. interesting. I print PDF rules myself on a b+w laser (sometimes the colour laser I also have but not often - usually just the card covers) and then ring bind them myself - I used to do two rulesets that I sold that way.

    Wire-ring bound does look more professional than plastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, I have one of the new printers with the high volume ink, so printing at home is cheaper than ever ….. but I do like the ‘booklet’ look that this PoD gives. If I go with saddle stitch and heavy paper, I can imagine it being an impressive document.

      Delete
  9. A very useful post Norm. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi thanks, I’m sure more rule writers will go down the route of PDF, if not for the main rules, then certainly for supplements, so as wargamers we will get increasingly drawn to getting our systems this way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Norm, I've also used Doxdirect to print components for print n' play wargames that I've bought on Wargame Vault and always had a good service from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul, they are the only PoD outfit that I know and that was based upon the recommendation of another. Their turn round times are very impressive.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the info Norm a very useful post! I’ve been thinking for some time I should do something similar with my Napoleonic rules so thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian, Coming from a generation in which self publishing meant a type-writer and carbon paper :-) I find it amazing what we have at our fingertips now. Definitely worth a go.

      Delete
  13. I think it's a fine idea to have a number of the rule books printed up (IF you can ever call them done and can resist fiddling with them) just to have about. If you do a presentation game at a show somewhere and folks enjoy them, could sell them as well. I once bought an Age of Sail rulebook after playing a game with the rules writer, who just said "if you like these rules I have them for sale for $10 right over here..."
    I was in an ancients game once, forget what battle it was, and the winning side which I was on, was given a copy of the rules. I thought it was a nice touch.
    not saying mass production and try to promote, just as a little bonus.

    (of course, your ACW friend over here would give them a read 😁)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Stew, we could do more than give them a read. We could bring them to a remote table near you.

      Delete
    2. Hi Stew, ‘production’ brings its own problems of storage, ‘needing’ to distribute and then all the hassle of working out income with the tax people, better as you say just to have ‘some’ laying around and being able to gift them.

      Delete
    3. Great idea Jonathan. You, me, Norm as special guest (if Norm likes the idea) , some other lucky man, and delicious ACW. 😀

      Delete
    4. Sticks pins in eyes at thought of remote game :-)

      Delete
    5. Lol. It’s not THAT bad. 😀

      Delete
  14. Interesting thoughts and info on your approach Norm…my rules tend to be in my head 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt, I find the rules in my head just merge into one big mess of rules :-) whereas the rules I have written down, make me nod off when read late in the evening! So become instantly forgettable!

      Delete
  15. What a nice idea and fascinating to read about the process to getting the rules printed. For the additional pages you could have a “Notes” page at the end for rule changes/updates to be pencilled in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Peter, that is a good idea. The very thought of writing next to text in a rulebook brings me out in a rash :-)

    I did in fact spend this afternoon writing up an illustrated 2 page example of play, while double, triple and quadruple checking with the rules that the examples were right:-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. PDFs are nice for searching and easy to carry BUT give me paper any day :-)
    I've used Doxdirect for years and been very very happy with their service - 140+ pages is the largest they have done for me in one book!
    I do find its worth the extra for the 120gsm paper (esp if you read them a lot) but I find the opaque covers better than card as they wipe clean and, unlike the clear plastic option, dust (and flock / grass bits) does not stick as they are virtually static free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew, thanks for those tips. I am used to these rules being in plastic sleeves, so the rules have always felt thick and ‘nicely’ bulky, by going straight to just 80gm paper, they do feel a bit ‘mean’ by comparision, so I will be trying the 120gm next …… a bit of posh! :-)

      Delete
  18. Great looking result Norm. I would do the same here but the cost is about double in Australia. Like you I have one of the new high volume ink so persevere with just printing my pdf rules out single sided.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Ben, double price is a big difference and a shame as the PDF is a good way to get around expensive import duty, a reason that I think that 3D printing is going to become more mainstream. I must admit, the new ‘big tank’ printers are an amazing leap in cost efficiency compared to the older types, especially for me, as I ran one of those expensive Tri-Colour cartridges from HP.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A fascinating insight into the options and ease of PoD services these days. The finished product certainly looks good and with even just a run of 20 copies, I'm amazed at how cheap the price turned out to be.

    This has given me food for thought for taking scenarios from pdf's I've gathered over the years and putting them into one document and getting them printed, much easier than trying to read them on a computer, plus I would remember that I actually had them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, it has much to recommend it, even things like stripping out the parts of say Glory Hallelujah that you want to apply to Black Powder and just having that as a stand alone booklet etc.

      Delete
  21. Looks great Norm, very professional. I have mentioned my printing background before on my blog - Apprentice at 17 at Municipal Mutual Insurance Company - so I remember the days printing booklets plate by plate and all that it involved! Quick, clean and easy these days :) Lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Lee, I have gone through a bit of a learning curve, so the next version sits in the wings with the new bits that I have learned that. Pages will do.

    When I was a teenager, a neighbour had his own printing press and did leaflets, wedding invitations and the likes. Anyway, he showed me the ropes and I spent many an hour sifting through fonts and spacers and assembling into printing blocks.

    I recently went into a printers and for nostalgic sakes they had all of that stuff set out, with the various fonts in their wooden trays etc, amazing the leaps that we have made in so few years.

    ReplyDelete
  23. > Then I changed the print volume to 20 copies and this basically dropped the price to just over £5 per copy.

    That's a great price. With RPG's, you especially want each player to have a copy of the book when generating characters, but many RPG's are sold as a single hardback with the Player and GM material in the same book.

    I presume you'd want other players to know the rules (: and, of course, handing a rulebook to them while you're playing a game, particularly a spiral-bound, which makes it easier to read with one hand, is definitely useful. Multiple copies will be useful for blind playtesting, as well as a prize or giveaway at a convention game!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, yes, the price is surprisingly friendly, though I would want things to be ‘more final’ before treading the multi-copy route, as to my mind nothing is worse than a raft of updates following a ‘published’ effort.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment