Thursday 18 April 2024

One Hour Wargames in 1809



Having got my 1809 project to a point where a six unit French force and a four unit Austrian force now sit fully painted in their respective barracks, I have been enjoying pushing them around the table to the beat of some Neil Thomas scenarios.


His One Hour Wargames book has 30 generic scenarios and a variety of 2-3 page rule sets covering various major periods. Taken together, it ensures that whatever your interest, you only need small forces and a 3x3 space to get a game going.


With the units I have to date, I can do 10 of the 30 scenarios and due to their generic nature, I can treat all of them all as 1809 Danube actions.


For a table, I am using a 4x4 space rather than 3x3, simply because I prefer to avoid the visual distraction of marking the three foot boundaries off.


For rules, I shall use my own home brew set, as I continue to develop them through repeat play. By chance, my rules allow infantry in line to move 8”, while OHW have a movement rate of 6” so that pretty much softens the table growing from a 3x3 to a 4x4.


Anyway here are a few shots from some of the gaming situations falling from Danube fighting that I have enjoyed over recent days.


Scenario 30 - Last Stand.

A veteran and hardened formation from Red Army (Austrians) is acting as rearguard to their routing army. They have established themselves on the far side of a river with two crossing points. Can they make a respectable Last Stand against the attentions of Blue Army (French)?





There is an interesting action described in Osprey’s Eggmühl 1809 (storm over Barvaria) book on pages 47 - 50, which coincides very closely with our Last Stand scenario and terrain set-up, even with artillery batteries up on the heights and two bridges and a town, so I took the liberty of transposing those place names and unit designations onto this table, it just added a bit of extra character to what was a generic scenario.





I rather liked the back and forth at the village as it passed hands several times. You often read about this sort of thing in accounts, but it is generally harder to do in war-games as time scales and units burning out often only allow an attack and perhaps one counter-attack, not much more.





In the end, the French took the village from the exhausted Austrians. At the same time, at the Lend Bridge, the French, after high losses took the bridge and cleared the way ahead. French heavy cavalry then poured over the bridge, moving across to the village, to chase the remnants of Austrian infantry from the field.


In the last moments of battle, French infantry in columns, assaulted the redoubt on the hill twice and twice their assault withered in the face of canister fire from the Austrian guns. The Austrian Last Stand had held on ….. just, literally on the last die roll!


Scenario 27 - Disordered Defence.

Red Army (French) have three units guarding a crossroads. A further three units are due to arrive for support, but not until turn 8. In the meantime, Blue Army (Austrian) with just 4 units are trying to take the cross roads before enemy reinforcements arrive.


The essence of this scenario appears to be that the attackers have a small window to concentrate against a slightly smaller force, but even 'if' they defeat this force they can still expect to be roughly handled by them - the question then becomes will those tired attackers be able to withstand the onslaught of the fresh turn eight French reinforcements?





This series of Neil Thomas scenarios in this book result in quite bare tables for the most part when it comes to terrain. Only the essentials are provided, no doubt to focus attention on what matters …. However, it is nice to have a bit of ‘pretty’ on the table and this particular scenario is very barren, with just two roads there to give us the important crossroads, so we can indulged in a bit of window dressing, but none of the added features will impact the game in any way, everything is treated as open.





In the first stages of this game, the Austrians did manage to maintain their momentum, but at some cost to themselves.


They broke the French flanks and went on to push the French centre back off the crossroads, just as the French reinforcement was arriving ... that was close!





Tired and half spent, they managed to cover the lateral road, but you can see that the Austrian infantry unit lagging at the bottom of the screen has already taken 6 Heavy Casualty points .... and is not going to last long.





The Austrians did try to take the initiative, their dragoons charging the cuirassiers, but the fresh French horse had no trouble counter charging and the dragoons fell back ... significantly mauled (don't forget, the field isn't really there!).


The French guns at close quarter with their canister did much of the work, clearing the crossroads and the Austrians were too exhausted to do anything other than fall back. The French reclaimed the objective.


Over the full course of play, it has been the Austrians who have taken the greater number of losses.




Between these two very playable games and the pleasure of getting the painted forces to the table, I had a thoroughly enjoyable bit of gaming, which underlines the accessibility of the Neil Thomas approach for small collections and gaming spaces. They were both quite tight games. 


I have a renewed respect for the OHW book, I just wish the author would put pen to paper again …. it has been too long.


Importantly, after a couple of afternoons of gaming, I remain enthused to get more units painted to allow for the Battle of Auberge with its eight units per side, but first the Austrian Grenadiers need more work to clear the painting sticks if they are to make way for the hussars!


Resource Section.


A previous post discussing the 1809 Project. LINK

https://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2023/12/kicking-off-1809-project.html


My sister webspace ‘COMMANDERS’  showcases the various figure and boardgame systems that I am enjoying and gives a flavour of where current projects are up to. Link.


https://commanders.simdif.com

53 comments:

  1. One Hour Wargames is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed it is and the value becomes more significant when you are that person with the smaller gaming space / smaller collection / restrictions on gaming time - it is a holistic approach to accessibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks and sounds superb Norm! Bravo indeed. Perfect one-hour wargaming, even makes me consider doing something similar myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi J. I think when I fully read the Eggmühl and Aspern Essling books, as I come across various accounts, I will dip into the OHW scenarios and see if any are ‘close enough’ .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see the units on the table and cracking looking games, I am going to do something similar,you have inspired me to get it done sooner rather than later!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donnie, thanks very much, glad it hit the mark.

      Delete
  6. I have long thought the Thomas' OHW is the best wargaming book value on the market. Very good to see your project/collect reach a point of gameability. Did any rules' changes or rethinks pop up from these two games? Great game photos!

    ReplyDelete

  7. Hi Jonathan, four things unfolded that made me pen questions to myself for rule consideration / changes;

    1. When a unit takes a capability test, it gets a +1 uplift for being within 6” of two friendly units. I had a unit ejected from a village and the ‘cover’ of the building didn’t help, so the question to myself was …. Should the mod for proximity of friends have an addition ‘OR IN COVER’.

    2. What formation should a unit default to, when moving into cover such as town. It feels like it should be skirmish …. But there are aspects of skirmish rules and mods that would need ‘absorbing’ and it does not take into account a unit in assault column that is not IN the buildings and using the road etc and how units physically attack out of BUA’s and is that different to say …. Woods, so quite a bit to unwrap there.

    3. Cavalry cannot charge a unit in cover. When my cav broke through, I wanted to charge up the slope at the guns in the redoubt, but the rule prevented me from doing so, I think my sticking point was that I seen a painting with that sort of thing happening, but it was likey artists fancy. So is the rule right or wrong in this instance? On balance I think ….. right. Its pretty much a suicide mission against guns frontally and perhaps the cav would be better served getting around to the rear of the redoubt ‘flowing around’!

    4. terminology added???. Unit with 5+ hits must test each turn, to see if their nerve goes and they fall back, picking up another hit (i.e. the slow road to increasing deterioration of will) I think I might start describing units with 5+ hits as being unsteady, it doesn’t change anything in actual play, but it does help describe / visualise a process.

    Anyway these sort of questions cropping up interest me and more often than not, I don’t amend, but the testing of concepts and further thought can only be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These questions and in-game situations interest me too. Thanks for putting this down in a reply.

      Delete
  8. Two cracking games there Norm your troops look jolly nice arrayed for battle. I must dig OHW out and find a scenario for our upcoming inaugural 1940 game I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Phil, there is certainly more intrigue to some of these ‘mini’ games than might first appear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A couple of very enjoyable accounts of entertaining games, Norm. I have a soft copy of OHW on file...must have a look through and give one of rhe scenarios a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith, it fascinates me that each scenario can be used by any army in any period.

      Delete
    2. The writer is obviously a clever bloke!

      Delete
    3. His iron discipline to strip out rather than add in rules is a testimony to his character.

      Delete
  11. Great looking figures and seems I can post on your Blog again :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary, the mysteries of Blogger 🙂

      Delete
  12. Two great scenario overviews. Figures look splendid and I always like the views with annotated text. Totally agree that a touch of historical place names just adds an extra feel to the game.
    Very much looking forward to tomorrow night’s A Most Fearful Sacrifice Scenario. It should provide plenty of action and having spent time on several careful reads and rereads of critical rules (plus focusing on them in online tutorials) will, I hope, speed play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, I will be rusty, but it sounds like the right scenario to get us back into it.

      Delete
  13. Thanks Michal, more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great looking units Norm! OHW was probably the best value for money wargames book I’ve ever bought.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi JB, I have 4 of his books, feels a bit like the modern day Grant / Featherstone / Wise et al.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Games look really good and as you say, I nice reward for spending all that time painting. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Stew, I’m not a ‘natural’ painter by inclination, so a boost to the painting mojo is most welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent looking games Norm! I do very much enjoy the OHW scenarios.
    Thanks for reminding me that I can add terrain to make the table look pretty. It certainly helps as the scenarios often have quite bare tables.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Ben, It’s funny though, even though I know to ignore the ‘added’ terrain, once it is down, the mind’s eye doesn’t always ignore it. In my game, I found myself at one point moving around the field instead of just moving the field to one side :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Two nice game reports Norm - OHW scenarios shoot and score once again

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great to see the. Naps on the table Norm these little scenarios obviously give interesting little tests with limited troops on the table. I need to dig into to some larger scenario books I think ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt, I know a few bloggers use the scenarios with double sized armies, which seems like a good idea, a bit like Big DBA.

      Delete
  22. That looks great Norm. The figures look fabulous and both games look like they were tense and interesting. I also add scatter terrain and vaguely historical place names to the OHW scenarios (many of them correspond to a degree to various historical situations in any case). I think OHW is one of the most productive Wargames books published in the last 50 years, it really stimulates the imagination and makes wargaming manageable for those of us who don't have huge tables and thousands of figures.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Martin, both games, particularly the first, went down to the wire and that is not an accidental thing, they are just very well thought out scenarios. I agree about OHW, it made. Splash when published, but that has been sustained as the real depth of his work becomes better appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great looking figures and battles and thanks for reminding me of what a good resource OHW is. I have a similar number of SYW units painted and OHW would be a perfect way to get them on the table in interesting battles while I paint more. Great post. Cheers, Michael

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Michael, the book seems to hit a particular sweet spot for the likes of us.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great looking games Norm, most inspiring! I do like the way you have 'dollied up' the basic terrain layout. Agree about 'OHW', those scenarios are a little goldmine, and perfect for those of us with more limited space and figure collections. It's really about time I had another go at one of them - thanks for the nudge!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi David, I can certainly recommend the Last Stand (scenario 30) and would make a nice SYW game for you, the 3x3 playing space is a very thoughtful endeavour by Neil Thomas.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Excellent looking troops, although we could do with a few more pictures? I'm a big fan of OHW, just as an aside wasn't the redoubt at Borodino taken by cavalry so you couldn't replicate it with your rules? Surely it must be very difficult/expensive in terms of manpower rather than not possible? Just a thought!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Iain, the cavalry charge is something that I want to think about a bit more and of course it opens up questions then about other types of cover. There are a few areas in the rules in which I know there are some examples of something happening in real life, but I have chosen to disallow, simply to stop that thing of if it is allowed, the wargamer always does it - disproportionally to the few instances of it actually occurring.

    More pictures next time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank for the inspirational post...I really need to get something on the table soon; perhaps even tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Rob, there is no time like the present :-) Tho good thing about these sort of scenarios is that the family table can be back in service by meal time!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very good, Norm. Battlefields look very attractive and the action is clearly, ahem, engaging! This project looks like an excellent way to get a bit of horse and musket to the table without needing to go overboard on building a collection. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Aaron, exactly that. I know I don’t want to paint up 20 battalions and in one sense I am lucky that my boardgames suit me for the bigger battle actions.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Two very neat scenarios Norm with great minis and terrain. Loved reading the post and also the comments, in particular your reply to Jonathan’s comment. If I may I would put in my tuppence’ worth.

    1. I am not familiar with the rules you are using but agree units in cover should have a ‘support’ advantage by virtue of the cover provided by the BUA.

    2. I would classify a light infantry unit in a BUA as ‘skirmish’ but a line unit as ‘disordered’ when occupying a BUA or woods or other difficult terrain, although one might feel this is complicating things a bit. Having said that, history shows that BUA’s were usually conquered at the bayonet so firepower on both sides had a negligible effect on assaults. Therefore the emphasis should be on the melee capabilities of the units involved rather than on their firepower.

    3. I would allow cavalry to engage protected troops but at a high penalty, say becoming disordered and getting minuses on their HTH capabilities.

    4.Your final point is rules-specific so I will not comment as I am not familiar with your ruleset. Sorry!

    Hope my small contribution helps :)

    Take care and keep gaming!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, thanks for thoughts fully agree with point 2 and further ‘at point of bayonet’ plenty of accounts that I read, having villages changing hands several times in the same day!

      On point three, that is an interesting thought, more subtle than the the yes they can Vs no they can’t, shall give it some more thought.

      On point 1, I have no idea why it has taken so long for this to raise its head with me !!! :-) I think in the situationI played, it just seemed a bit too premature for the troops to be abandoning the BUA considering the initial weakness of the attack against them. Rules duly amended :-)

      Delete
  35. Great looking figures as usual. it is always a great moment when you manage to get a fully painted set of troops on the table. I am edging slowly towards having enough 25mm Marlburians to play a small Neil Thomas OHW scenarion with 12 man units which will be a landmark...

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks Mike, agreed and then every one unit painted there-after seems to really propel the project forward. Looking forward to seeing your Marlburians in active service :-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Two great games there Norm and lovely to see your troops in action too. The OHW scenarios do provide plenty of fun with relatively few troops per side.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Steve, I think I will start working my way through the scenarios (again!).

    ReplyDelete
  39. Excellent post... and pretty much sums up exactly how I feel abut the Thomas book.. I know not everyone agrees with his approach, but I think it's a cracker..

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Steve, it certainly fits a gap, I’m not sure that there is anything else like it and of course within our niche hobby, it is nice that publishers will still pick up those who write about the hobby - though it has been a while since we have seen anything new from his pen.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Nice to see you chaps out and in action Norm.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi David, thanks, they give a boost to getting more stuff to the painting sticks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment