Sunday 17 December 2023

Kicking off the 1809 project.


In his book, Napoleonic Wargaming, Neil Thomas concludes with a scenario between French and Russian forces on his fictitious battlefield of Leibnitz.


As per his rules, both armies are (always) formed from eight units and these are put together in a representational style of reflecting an army structure.


So for the French, his scenario uses troops from the list he provides for 1805 - 07. 


He chooses 4 line infantry units (one of course being the Imperial Guard!), 1 light infantry, 1 Cuirassier (heavy cavalry), 1 Chasseurs a` Cheval (light cavalry) and an artillery battery for a total of eight units.


I just love this organisational nod to the sort of bath-tubbed games that I played as a teenager and which mirror some of the ‘teaser’ type games of that period, that both Featherstone and Grant were dab hands at creating.


The Russian force is likewise composed, though 2 units are compulsory Cossack troops. Not that this matters, as I don’t have a Russian force …. No! Instead, my Leibnitz will be fought between 1809 French and Austrians.


Please use the ‘read more’ tab for the rest of this post.



Napoleonic Wargaming by Neil Thomas is a lovely book (published by the History Press 2009). It feels, to me at least, like a modern version of what Charles Grant’s ‘Napoleonic Wargaming’ book set out to do in 1974.


Neil Thomas begins with some background history on Old Regimes and the French Revolution / Napoleonic Wars and then moves on to discuss period strategy and tactics. We are then delivered the wargame section, with a mix of rules, notes, army lists and a scenario. 


On the other side of Christmas, more likely in the New Year, I will be taking the battlefield given to us by Neil Thomas for a first game and drawing two forces from his 1809 lists, which of course have 8 units per side, using any special rules attributed to them.


For system rules, I will be using my own scribblings rather than the Neil Thomas set, for no other reason than I still want to develop them and using a home brew set does feel like it captures the spirit of what Neil Thomas is about.


I am just in the process of building up two starter napoleonic forces, so (a) I will build the bases / units that meet the specific needs of the two forces listed here and (b) initially, there will be some fighting with a lot of unpainted plastic - yes, it’s true!


I hope to run this exact game in 12 months time and by then, have all 16 units, plus skirmishers and commanders, fully painted. So my start-up 1809 project is being completely bracketed (I hope) by a first game in January 2024 and a future game in January 2025. It sounds ages away, but will no doubt be here before we know it!


Not the battle of Leibnitz!




Above - Welcome to Auberge, this looks exactly like Neil Thomas’ Leibnitz. There are three main terrain features. The village of Auberge,  Breitenlee Woods and the Hill (the two names being recognisable from the Aspern-Essling battlefield -  perhaps :-) ). 


The Austrians control the village, the French control the hill. The woods are unoccupied and sit between the two forces,


The Armies.


For the French, I will use the scenario recommendation as a guide, but keep within the parameters of the 1809 list, giving;


2 X Line Infantry - Average

1 x Line Satellite (Italian) - Levy*

1 x Old Guard - Elite

1 x Light infantry - Average

1 x Cuirassier heavy cavalry (elite) *

1 x Chasseur a` Cheval light cavalry (Average)

1 x Artillery 6 pdr foot battery


* I need to do some more research as to whether ‘levy’ status is fair for the Italian infantry (I am a bit dubious) and also whether the Cuirassiers in this instance justify elite status.


Special French Rule - Cuirassiers get an extra save benefit when fighting enemy cavalry.


Additionally, I will include 3 leaders to allow for the creation of commanded formations.


For the Austrians, I will use the 1809 list, but try to closely reflect the Russian force that Neil Thomas gave us.


3 x Line infantry (Average)

1 x Grenadiers (elite)

1 x Grenzers (light infantry with rifles - Levy)

1 x Cuirassiers (Average) heavy cavalry *

1 x Hussars (Average) light cavalry *

1 x Artillery 6 pdr foot battery


* From memory, Austrian cavalry were generally good, so I might need to tweak the status of one of those units or at least drag the French Cuirassiers down from elite to standard so that the Austrian cavalry are not so diminished by comparison.


Anyone out there with an opinion?


Special Austrian Rules - ‘Sluggish Infantry’, it takes a full move to change formation and if changing from column to line, they may not fire in the same move. 


Like the French, the Austrian Cuirassiers get an extra save benefit when fighting enemy cavalry.


Additionally, 3 leaders will be included to allow for commanded formations.  


Game length - In the Neil Thomas system, a side wins when it has reduced the other side down from 8 to 2 units, I don’t think I would like the look of that, plus I also like geographical objectives in a game, so in my version, the game ends at the completion of any the turn in which at least one of the players has lost four units i.e 50% losses and then victory points are calculated.


Victory Conditions - Victory is assessed at the end of the game. The woods gives whoever fully controls it 1 VP. The Hill is worth 2 VP’s to the Austrians and 1 to the French, while Auberge is worth 1 point to the Austrians and 2 VP’s to the French.  Additionally, if one side has fewer unit losses than the other, they gain 1 extra VP.





Above - The latest unit to leave the painting sticks is a unit of French Light Infantry ( produced by Warlord Games). They are actually later than our time frame of 1809, though happily this has not cost me any sleepless nights! They are flagged as 14th Light Infantry. 


Below - The Warlord set provide decals for the cartridge bag.





On the basis that I am unlikely to complete another unit before the New Year, then following the receipt of a generous Christmas gift from the children (painted Cuirassiers), the painted element of my forces by the start of January will be;


French - 1 line infantry battalion, 1 light infantry battalion, 1 Cuirassier regiment and 1 artillery battery of 2 guns.


Austrian - 1 line infantry battalion and 1 artillery battery of 2 guns.


That amounts to 6 painted units out of the total needed 16 units between the two armies, so not a bad start. 2024, should see the remaining 10 units done, plus command etc. 




Although I have been wanting to do an 1809 project for a while, I didn’t realistically see it as being a ‘real’ thing for the foreseeable future. However the recent hobby clear out and streamlining that has been going on, as outlined in recent posts, has really started to deliver a focus of attention to fewer projects and this is the first tangible reward of all of that.


On the boardgame side of things, where the clear out was even more drastic, the new drive towards ‘series’ type games is likewise being rewarded by a concentration of attention on the Eagles of France system (Hexasim), with a current focus on the Waterloo module in particular. 


So it looks like January will be a napoleonic month ….. but then, I am getting an Alexander the Great boardgame for Christmas - so who knows :-)


One strong aspect of the blog community is the inspiration that others get from a shared game or idea. For this project, I have been spurred on by Iain’s ‘Caveadsum 1471’ blog (link below in the Resource Section), which has recently been highlighting 28mm games on a 6’ x 4’ space, the series exactly touches where I ultimately see my own games going (thanks).


Please note, my next and probably final post of the year, will go up at 5 AM on Christmas Morning. It will be the usual long self indulgent ramble of a year in review and as always, is principally intended as a bit of wargaming distraction for anyone just trying to get through the day, but hopefully will have something for everyone - see you there or thereabouts!


Seasonal greetings to all gamers and readers in this world wide game / blog community. Kind Regards, Norm.


Resource Section.


Iain’s Blog page for a napoleonic game. LINK


https://caveadsum1471.blogspot.com/2023/12/valour-and-fortitude-1809-club-game.html


My sister webspace ‘COMMANDERS’  showcases the various figure and boardgame systems that I am enjoying and gives a flavour of where current projects are up to. Link.


https://commanders.simdif.com

50 comments:

  1. Well I'm delighted to have been some help! I think the Royal Italians are comparable to the French line and don't really fulfil the lesser quality, unless you went for Kingdom of Naples but they were classes as the worst in Europe, can I make a suggestion that you convert some Austrians with French shakos and give yourself some Confederation of the Rhine allies ( I did some about a year ago on my blog) which might be better or a French provisional unit? A little harsh on the grenzers I thought? Looking forward to this one enormously!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, pretty much following my thoughts and I like the idea of Confederation of the Rhine allies.

      Yes, agree about the Grenzers.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh... Napoleonic's were my first love... I've not touched on the period in years... your blog via caveadsum may well have sparked a flame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, I hope that whatever ends up on the blog over the next few weeks and months fans the flames further :-)

      Delete
  3. An outstanding project, Norm! I will be eagerly following this, and of course will be reading your Christmas post. Much to look forward to in the coming weeks and months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, I think that both of our napoleonic tables should be seeing a bit more action in 2024.

      Delete
  4. 'Less is more' - or is it? This kind of 'bath-tubbed teaser' with 8 units a side fighting over a sparse three terrain items could be seen as the distilled essence of a tactical problem, where every decision will matter and every roll of the dice carries huge import. That may be, but that degree of distillation boils away too much of the nuanced flavour for my taste. I want more granular terrain to provide more options and more complex situations. This is not a criticism of your project, merely the hardly original observation that different players have different tastes. Best of luck with your project and I shall certainly read and enjoy your future reports about it regardless! (Meanwhile, perhaps I feel another 'Reflection on Wargaming' essay coming on ...) https://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/2021/10/reflections-on-wargaming.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, I am an avid boardgamer so much of that ‘bigger’ stuff is nicely dealt with by them (I will be doing Waterloo sometime in January), so I am after something different from the figures and the teaser type stuff from yesteryear is a good fit for where I am up to.

      Delete
    2. Good point, Norm. Bonne chance!

      Delete
  5. Great project Norm and one I certainly will be following, something I want to do myself one day and your ideas posted here certainly tick a lot of boxes for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donnie, I hope the posts that follow will strike a chord for some readers who are looking at similar. My enthusiasm is high on this one, so that’s a good start.

      Delete
  6. A very focused and doable project I shall look forward to seeing it progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Phil, I think that from a practical perspective, this is the project that is going to get the paint brushes going and that it has a reachable goal - fingers are crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a solid plan to my eyes.

    On troop ratings, of course there can be much discussion and disagreement but my thoughts are that,
    - Italians in 1809 are not "Levy" and equal to their French counterparts.
    - Grenz are not "Levy" with an "Average" rating more reasonable.
    - If French cuirassiers are rated as "Elite" then Austrian hussars and cuirassiers should be rated no less. I would rate Austrian cavalry at least equal to French heavies if not better than.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, that pretty much reflects my own thinking. Yes a solid plan, what can possibly go wrong :-)

      Delete
  9. My earlier comment may have gone straight to SPAM or did not pass censors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jonathan, it did hit the spam thing - I have no idea why it occasionally does that …. Anyway, unspammed :-)

      Delete
  10. Looking forward to this, I think I’ve mentioned it before when my regular gaming friend was alive we used to use 9:4:2 (inf cav guns) as our army ratios and work around that obviously some battles when bath tubbed the armies had less but never more. Once our 15 units were collected then over time it allowed us to add bits ( allies) or start another army. Good luck I’m sure you will enjoy this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham, I think I have found my stride with this one. I will beaver away at this and then once the 8 units are hit, will be able to take a more relaxed approach to filling out the forces.

      Delete
  11. I am a fan of the Neil Thomas set and use the slightly modified Frog and Toad version for my 54mm games. The 54mm collection started out with the aim of putting together forces of 8 units to match the army lists but has grown beyond that now. I have used the army lists from the Napoleonic section in the Introducing book with the later rules and they work well for bigger games.

    I have a load of unpainted 54mm Austrians (and a fair number that came in a collection I bought which are painted as British and French!) which will form the core of an Austrian force to face my French at some point. Sorting out the boxes of “left over” 54mm and working out what can go into units and what needs to be sold off is a job for January.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mike, Sounds like we are looking at a similar end result. The NT rules and game size he offers are ideal for 54’s and the rising interest in the scale should mean yoou have no problem selling the remainder. I will be happy when I reach the point that I can expand beyond 8 as I know that I will have fully painted forces that can do all of the basics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I normally set my own games with 8 infantry, 4 Cavalry and 2-4 guns per player which I find is the maximum one person can handle so I think you've got it just right. Will you still continue to paint up your epics?
    BTW you have inspired me to ask Santa for a board game this Christmas so well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That approximates with Graham’s 9-4-2, so looks like a solid ratio. A good and interesting observation haw many units a player might want to manage …. Doubling of course for solo play, which is why I would likely want to see my pool set at around 12 units.

      The Epics have gone! Not an easy decision, but decisive enough to allow me to concentrate on the 28’s.

      Good news on the boardgame, I look forward to the reveal and your thoughts on your blog in the New Year.

      Delete
  14. Hi Norm,

    I am doing similar to you but using the Epic Napoleonics on a smaller table. You will get there faster than me tho!

    Happy Christmas, looking forward to your Xmas morning post!

    Cheers

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jay, look forward to see how your Epic project plays out. I felt they were taking too long to paint compared to the 28’s - but having just done a unit of 28’s ….. they weren’t! :-)

    Best Wishes for Christmas - hope you enjoy the post. Norm

    ReplyDelete
  16. I look forward to reading about your progress on this interesting and very achievable project. It will be interesting to see how your rules progress too. What size tabletop are you planning to use?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Peter, this will be on a 6x4.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Norm,

    It sounds like an achievable target, especially as you have selected a reasonable timeframe to complete. It is different to your Pocket Armies approach as it has a very well defined target of narrow scope (1809) and milestones (painted units). Good stuff. But 6x4! :-) lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Shaun, yes I know ….. a huge table :-)

    I am feeling a lot of enthusiasm about this project and I’m sure that much of that comes from the realistic nature of the plan - plus of course a mental image of lots of pretty troops all ranked up. Let’s hope reality meets the vision at some point :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent stuff Norm, that looks like a grand project, and as you know, I'm a big fan of the pocket army concept. I've played quite a few games of NT Napoleonics, and Tbh I find the eight unit limit a bit low in terms of force/space ratios, particularly infantry numbers. Nine or ten works better IMHO. I wouldn't be scared of giving units different quality ratings, NT only uses three, and they don't actually make much difference. I always rate French Allies as a class worse than French infantry, so make those Italians (and Grenzers) levy. It makes the game more interesting. I blame AHGCs War and Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin, yes, I see the 8 units as a starting point, with a range of 8 - 12 being useful. Most rules seem to give us 3 categories of quality for units which boil down to average, worse and better, with average running off a roll of 7 on 2D6.

      Delete
    2. You blame TAHGC's War & Peace? That's funny!

      Delete
  21. The french look great Norm, and some early planning to make me feel very random in my approach. Of course no plan survives contact with Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt, agreed. I like a tick list for units done and needing to be done, but I also like to dip in and out of things that take the fancy … so who knows! :-)

      Delete
  22. Well I certainly look forward to seeing how this progresses Norm, both gaming and painting wise. As part of my ongoing clearout, I have realised for sometime now that I simply bought too much stuff in terms of numbers of units for a game. Certainly for most solo efforts that are not WWII, 12-15 units per side makes for a very nice and manageable games. So my aim is going forward to make forces based around this as it is more achievable. Also I found the 8 units NT uses too limiting for my games, with not quite enough units to have a good game, but then I have never used his rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have normally used 12 units with the NT rules and anything up the maximum 15 allowed by the army lists in the Introduction to Wargaming book.

      I have also never used the game ends when 2 units left rule or the get a unit off the back of the board rules.

      Most games I play use Table Top teaser type scenarios from the Grant books or One Hour Wargames.

      Delete
    2. Mike, I think this flexibility is the very essesnce of what Neil Thomas is about.

      Delete
  23. Hi Steve, I doubt I will use the rules, so 8 might just burn out too quickly with other sets, but will be a good starting place and also a useful yardstick for what else might be needed.

    If nothing else, my own clear-out has brought a certain focus to what remains and I think that will be good going into 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Godspeed with the project, it seems great fun. And happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Gareth, best Wishes for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A great and doable project Norm. I am finding that restricting the size of each army certainly helps in getting a project going and finished!
    Wonderful work on those figures, they look fantastic. You are a talented painter and the 28mm figures must be more interesting for you to paint than the smaller Epic ones. In my case the exact opposite is true 😂
    Have a great Christmas and I look forward to reading your blog Christmas night after the big day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Ben, I think the goal that I have set myself is realistic enough for me. It needs me to be disciplined enough to do one unit per month, but of course, it is a hobby, so I won’t get overly upset at any slippage.

    The Christmas post is done in principle, it is just getting tweaking now. It’s just a bit of nonsense, but I hope interesting enough to crash with a coffee. Best Wishes for Christmas. Norm.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You cannot go wrong with Napoleonic's Norm; they are all just so PRETTY! I am looking forward to following progress and, ultimately, seeing a few games on your table.
    I was going to make the same comment about Austrian cavalry - I have even heard they were the best cavalry in Europe, man (and horse) for man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith, I have also read that Austrian cavalry were superior, especially in the early years., I can see them getting an upgrade. Yes, I am happy with the Napoleonic project as a choice for 2024, they will do exactly what I want from my figures.

      Delete
  29. Hi Norm, this sounds a very interesting project. Love the way the 8 units represent each force and comprise the various arms, that's how it used to be done :) Almost reminds me of the game in the Airfix Napoleonics wargame book (which I still have). I'll follow along as it develops. On the subject of Napoleonics have you seen the Warlord 'Over the Hills and far away' set? I think they do 'scruffy' French and British and I am soo tempted to grab the British set with the Donkey riding officer just for the fun of painting it!
    All the best Norm,
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Lee, yes the nostalgia aspect of bath tubbed armies is definitely there. The Over the Hill’s is a Peninsular set, but I think a box of French would add an excellent scruffy and bedraggled element to a unit. I think the British set would be right up your street.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks good and I await the results of how it goes as I have Thomas's books and its on the list to do!. I d share my observation that Austrian Cavalry were considered superior at a lower level, but were outclassed at the mass level, by superior French organisation and leadership. So I think your original classifications are right. Agree with others that the Italian troops were as good as the French. Merry Xmas

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi, I plan to do regular updates, as parts II, III etc, so hopefully the project will move along at a respectable pace to do that. The consensus on rating competency / training etc, both here and other forums is solidifying around a single view. Best Wishes for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  33. If you play 1809, please please please use the correct French flags (and those tricolor from 1812 and later)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The figure set is the Warlord Games late war set (1812 - 1815 from memory), they are what they are. I am a self confessed Philistine and have no issue with using them out of their specific time frame. My next army will be a Russian army for the 1812 conflict and my dislike of painting means things will have to serve a dual purpose.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment