Monday, 20 July 2026

Crossbow base - the fallen man!




Presently I have just one crossbow base (Burgundian Mercenary) for my Wars of the Roses forces, it has always been enough.


Below - From the outset it was designated as a skirmisher under my old rules, so 4 men with a couple of pavises sit on an 80mm x 50mm base and I like the overall character.





With my move to the Test of resolve rules, all missile troops use a ‘wide’ formation which is reflected by using two bases side by side and so I am rebasing all of my archers as 10 man units on two 80mm x 40mm bases.


Anyway, I like the crossbow base and don’t see the point in disturbing it. Instead I will simply create a second base that looks like the first. I have enough spare Burgundian decals for the pavises and my recent purchase of the Perry’s plastic Mercenaries box for its 16 pikemen, will also give me my 4 new crossbowmen  so all is good.


Below - To make fuller use of the 80 x 50 base, I thought I would add a casualty, but make it from the plastic sprues that come in Mercenaries box.





So - An armoured figure on the frame that was standing rather passively, was chosen. The figure’s puddle base was cut away, leaving the feet intact. Next the soldiers whole right leg was cut off with the intention of re-gluing with the leg turned at 90˚ so the figure didn’t simply look like a standing man while in the horizontal position!


The torso belly / chest was carved away flat, so that the face down figure looked like it was naturally contacting the earth.


Two arms were selected that would look ‘right’. On the right arm, the hand was cut away, so that the wrist could embed in the mud and keep that side of the figure relaxed. This right arm had held a sword and this would be re-used and moved over to the soldiers outstretched left hand, as though it has just fallen away from him.



A helmeted head was selected and glued in place while the figure was prone, so that the head would flop forward and set in a natural way in relation to the rest of the body.


Finally a bit of ‘Green Stuff’ was added at the new join at the top of the right leg, to hide the tell tale signs of hacking and any rough handling! 


The figure was glued into position while some basing mud was added at the same time, so that it would all dry together and the hard to reach places (i.e. between the knees and also the shoulder / neck) could be muddied before the figure was set down.


Crossbowmen were present at Stoke Field 1487 with the rebel army as European mercenaries (Burgundians with their white and blue coats). So our man's story can be from that battle.


Given that our fallen soldier is so well armoured and is wearing Azure and Murrey colours, we might assume that he is either a household or retained man-at-arms, in the service of one of the major Yorkist sympathisers. Sir Thomas Broughton (from Broughton in Furness - Lancashire in north west England) was such a man, so we might imagine our casualty to be a low ranked knight who had been fighting close to Sir. Thomas’ banner, as they charged with the rebel line into Oxford’s Royal Vanguard (Lancastrian).





Above - Sir. Thomas' colours. I might create a Sir. Thomas base, with a banner like this, just to inject a connection into the collection.


The new base has now been completed with four new crossbowmen decorated in the Burgundian colours (blue / white tabard), taken from the Perry’s plastic Mercenaries box, together with their pavises. There are a couple of longbow arrow shafts placed here and there and the tufting of the base has been done with a sympathetic eye on the original base ..... and this is what it looks like;





One of the pavises has fallen over onto our casualty (and picked up an arrow!), visually helping to tie him in with the rest of the base.





Overall, I am pleased with result of having a base that has its own little but of narrative going on. 





Above - fighting side-by-side, the two crossbow bases are now ready to be added to a Test of Resolve action .... soon I hope :-)


Resource Section.


My sister webspace ‘COMMANDERS’  showcases the various figure and boardgame systems that I am enjoying and gives a flavour of where current projects are up to. Link.


https://commanders.simdif.com/dear_diary.html

24 comments:

  1. Nice work creating a mini vignette for the second base of crossbow men, Norm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith, I didn't think a re-basing project could be such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great result, Norm, with plenty to capture eye and imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, digital photography is seldom kind, but it works well enough here.

      Delete
  4. Very nicely done Norm a lovely little base 👍

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work on your additional crossbow base, it does remind me to get some more done for mine! I like the casualty, although the pavise does seem to cover him up a fair bit!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iain, you would get a lot of mileage with your Italian Wars. The Pavise was tried in several positions, this was probably the best position for the base …… less so for the man 😀

      Delete
  6. The beauty of bigger bases it helps tell a story. Nice work all round.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Phil, I know David and your good self favour the 80mm. I feel it is the best compromise between the ‘big unit’ and table space.some years ago I was using Sword & Spear rules and they had 12 - 15 eighty mil bases for a 6x4.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done. The additional base looks excellent with the dead figure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Peter, I know Perry do metal casualties, but it is a bit of fun to play with the plastic bits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely wonderful Norm. Very evocative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben, I have just been reading how in bad weather (Towton) fields were quickly churned into mud by thousands of soldiers feet and that the danger of losing footing and falling from a blow etc, was suffocation from being trampled in the mud by the shoulder to shoulder press of men above. That reading probably underpins this scene.

      Delete
  11. Excellent work. The unique casualty is an wonderful addition to the base.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tom, thanks, I hope. To do a bit more around kit bashing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nicely done there Norm and always good to see some conversion work being done, something I used to love doing when I did game with 28mm figures. Rather more difficult with 10mm, other than bending the odd arm here and there for some variety. The new unit really matches very well with the old:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, I think I really need to make notes of what paints and mixes are used, so that it is a bit easier to do follow up units. I used to be quite disciplined on that sort of thing … a bit like a recipe book .

      Delete
  14. Hi Norm,

    Splendid piece of modelling! Converting that plastic figure into a fallen man-at-arms creates a brilliant little vignette. The new base matches the original unit perfectly.

    Cheers, Andy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Andy, thanks, it certainly helps break up what I view as the drudgery of painting! With this army, I am now at the point of being able to give it the off treat 😀

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice job Norm. Back in the days when I was a more serious modeler, making casualties look like casualties instead of a standing figure on its side was always a challenge. Your conversion has worked really well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Martin, I have just walked into Smiths and they have one of those specials they do called ‘Old School Modelling’ reminds me that, then, wielding the glue and knife was just something we all did …… with teenage honed skills 😀

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have every right to be pleased with your work, Norm. Your bases are wonderful. Great conversion work and superb story telling in the vignettes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Richard, I am looking for an excuse to use them. I am just in the middle of the Little Wars TV vid for their Bosworth game …. So who knows😀

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting.