Saturday 17 June 2023

Phalanx 2023 wargame show




Today I visited the Phalanx Wargames Show, in St. Helens (northwest UK). The show has been running for years at the Sutton Leisure Centre, a venue that has a large central room (like a sports hall) and one of the ante-rooms is used for the bring ‘n buy, which is a successful element of the show.


The show is hosted by St. Helens Wargaming Society, who are a very friendly crew and run a slick operation. I was there early and saw them helping traders unload.


It is Father’s Day here tomorrow in the UK and I am guessing that there are more than a few dads who attend this show with some extra cash in their back pockets to pick up something on behalf of the kids.


We have seen (in the UK) a very good post-Covid recovery of our show scene, the bigger shows have been runaway successes and last year, Phalanx had it’s best attendance figures, but I note this year that a few traders are missing from this show, that have still been attending the bigger shows. Might that be early signs of a trend?


According to the website on the morning of the show, there were 25 traders expected and 24 games being put on.


please use the ‘read more’ tab for the rest of this post.  




Here are few table shots. As always, I fail for the most part to properly identify who did what, but thank you to everyone who put on a game.







Above - the two shots are from a VERY BRITISH CIVIL WAR game. The gents at the table were very friendly and happy to give some of the interesting back story - especially to do with the design of the lead armoured vehicle, which is a 3D print.







Above - two shots of the same table. The second shot is looking over at the far right corner of the first shot - very nice!







Above - I thought this was a straight Samurai style game …. Until I noticed a few monsters, the bottom shot has a giant blue spider with a human torso. Is than an Osprey ‘Rampant’ book I spy on the table?





Above - A splendid recreation of Actium 31 BC






Above - A 15mm napoleonic game. I only had a fixed 27mm lens attached to the camera, so could not zoom out enough for this rather grand table.





Above - What a lovely looking game. In this shot the rowing boats are just setting off to land the men ashore against earthwork defences.








Above - There were some lovely buildings on this table, but it was this assault against the excellent redoubt that caught my eye.






Above - Very eye catching and with a lot of work going into this Star Wars table creation. I don’t know the location being represented, but no doubt others will. Look at the landed space-craft for an appreciation of the scale. Top marks for the number of hours it must have taken to get this ‘show ready’ - thank you.






Above - I believe a Pike and Shot era battle. I think it may well be a 30 Years War scenario of Swedes Vs Imperialists, put on by the Mailed Fist - who always support this show.







Above - I was so pleased to see this Hastings game returning to this show, after several years absence. The nearby Liverpool Wargames Association had a couple of tables, this being one. The figures are based on 100mm stands and the rules are a DBA derivative. For my money, this is a great example of a show game inspiring gamers to start a project that they can bring to their own kitchen tables, while enjoying the larger scale.





Above - Fellow blogger ‘Wargame Amateur’ put on a ‘Lion Rampant on Crusade’ game. The gentlemen are very friendly to the public and stalwarts of providing a participation table at this region’s game shows.





Above -  This is using the Kallistra hex system with their blue tiles. Nice to see a touch of fun at the tabletop …. Looks like our very own Nessie!



Overall, I had a very enjoyable visit, there was a wide range of traders, covering all of the popular scales and carrying good levels of stock.


I noticed that S&A Scenics have introduced a couple of new size of tree into their range, so I picked a few up from their deluxe range. I am also considering commissioning a long ridge (Hastings!), that would match other hills that I have bought from Simon.


Coritani sell a range of resin products. New to me are tank traps and hay stacks (pre-painted as well as raw resin), so I got a couple of each, plus a set of wire spears for the Wars of the Roses figures. I am thinking of using some shavings of coir matting to sprinkle onto the haystacks for ‘real’ texture.


Iron Gate Scenery had a small resin stone enclosure (sheep pen) on display, with some rather nicely sculpted resin sheep inside, so I thought that looked eye catching and compact enough to get the kit and while there, I got a small bag of grave headstones, intending to make a small feature to add next to church buildings - at some point … honest! :-)


Warbases - well, I bought for current projects and projects that are still being imagined! Now I have no excuse!


Eagle Figures - This was my first time at his stand. He is very friendly and his stuff is gorgeous. I thought it about time that I had a couple of napoleonic gun limbers (yes, for guns that still haven’t been built and painted!). I picked up two, but decided to really keep the footprint small by just having two horses per limber, as I just want these for a bit of eye candy and to use as markers. Mrs. wargamer has just donated to me a silver (type) fine neck chain, so that I can have the horses chained up to the limber.


As usual, Suzie’s food van was in the courtyard and towards noon the queue was very healthy, though I think they needed more seating in this area.


I did get the impression that the show was quieter this year than last, even the bring and buy wasn’t the usual ‘three deep’ scrum that it usually is, but some of that may be due to the hot weather we have been having.


A couple of traders did tell me that they were cutting down on shows, for reasons of cost effectiveness and so, the question for the moment as to how the mid sized show will fare over the next few years compared to the emerging giants of Partizan and Hammerhead, nags at the back of my mind.


In the end, for this show, I suppose it will be the traders view on how much the cash flowed today that will ultimately determine everything. Our show scene is fantastic and we must do as much as we can to make sure that it does not slip through our fingers!


To close, I would just like to say thanks to everyone who made this show work and especially for those making long journeys, so that I and others had nice things to look at :-)


Being Father’s Day tomorrow, later this afternoon, after leaving the show, my daughter and her family took Mrs. Wargamer and myself out to tea, so all-in-all, a splendid day!


I suppose with all of this good weather, I should start priming some of this stuff and get going.


Resource Section.


My sister webspace ‘COMMANDERS’ is being re-configured to showcase various figure and boardgame systems that I am enjoying and gives a flavour of where current projects are up to. Link.


https://commanders.simdif.com


33 comments:

  1. Nice report, thanks Norm. The Star Wars set-up is the final battle from 'Rogue One' I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I should know that as I have the DVD …. Now enthused to re-watch it!

      Delete
  2. This superb production is this year's presentation from Charles Rowntree, the creator of last year's stunning Battle of Imjin River set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, well what a very different board from his last, but showing equal skill and precision.

      Delete
  3. Looked a great show Norm, thanks for sharing the photos. I did like the look of the game with the boats being rowed ashore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray, I really must start taking proper notes of the games when photographing them. Close up, the boats and the figures in them looked superb

      Delete
  4. Another great looking show ( I hope you guys realise how lucky you are to have so many!) Norm, thanks for the pics and write up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith, I hope so too. I fear they have been taken for granted for too long.

      Delete
  5. Enjoyable report-out, Norm. Like Keith, I am surprised how many wargames' shows there are in the UK. Seems like one most weekends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jonathan, there has been a long held show tradition supported by the wargame club network ….. thankfully! As in the UK, I think we seem to have a reluctance to put on the number of miles that our overseas cousins are prepared to do for such things. For me, a round trip of 280 miles or so seems to dictate radius and these days, that for me typically involves an overnight stop.

      Delete
  6. The only way I’m ever going to see these shows. Public service blogging at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi JB, I like that some of the bigger shows get initial coverage by blogs and then the YouTubers get to work to bring the full flavour. As you say, this little corner of our internet is a wonderful hobby resource.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great report Norm and as other have said, it is fantastic to be able to see these shows through your eyes. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben, I am lucky to be able to get to a few shows a year, so it a great pleasure to be able to share the visits.

      Delete
  9. Great looking show. Thank you for all photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michal, there was plenty there to inspire new projects and today is a bit cooler, so I will certainly be getting the brushes out later and making a start on your favourites …. Medievals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A grand day out and report there Norm, some cracking photos too, it appears that the venue have replaced that damned dreadful lighting?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Phil, yes, the dreadful sodium lighting has been replaced by LED, what a huge difference. Now things look the colour that they really are instead of being shifted by that orange type cast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fine report there Norm. Back in the day a show Phil and I often attended and put on display games too. Good to see the lighting has (eventually) been brought up to date, too many yellow photo memories... Like you I am pleased the show circuit seems to have rebooted but also agree that smaller-medium sized events are at risk of trader loss. Phil and I used to attend upwards of 20 shows a year back in the day, I suspect we are lucky to manage more than half a dozen now. I did think of going yesterday but baulked at a three hour plus round trip. Age becoming a live issue I fear...👴🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, 20 shows is a lot of goodness. I would like to put a game on sometime as it is something I have never done. Yes, we are finding the long journeys are best broken up by an overnight stop these days.

      Delete
  14. Lovely looking collection of games and well done on doing your bit to keep the traders coming back!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Iain, I am always left amused at how easy it is to pick up things at a show, then you get home and the puzzle starts of where to put it 🙂 but one way or another, over the space of a couple of days, it gets squirrelled away.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice pictures Norm. I'm dying to know what rules / game is being played on that Star wars table because the scale is so different then what I'm used to.

    I hardly never buy anything at conventions, but I think our conventions work differently than yours, and even then it would vary by region. I think my local small conventions live and die by paying attendees, which I think are attracted by games being offered, so I offer my support by running awesome games (which is something I like to do anyway so it's only a small sacrifice); but not by vendors making a good profit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He said the rules were essentially those he’d used for the Korean War game last year.

      Delete
  17. Hi Stew, the chap who did the Star Wars table will likely be hawking it around the show circuit, so I will look out for the details you are after.

    I think shows here may at some point divide into the bigger commercial jobs and then smaller club based game venues, with perhaps a trader or two and a big bring & buy element. There are a few evolutionary steps before or if that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing norm sadly unable to make it this year, some good looking games on display

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Matt, there was a good variety in the games, the Hastings game has made me all 1066 again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So lucky having access to so many quality shows

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is the absolute truth! I’m not sure that it is properly appreciated, though perhaps the Covid lock down did make us appreciate them a bit more, as generally attendances have been higher.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the show report Norm, as too many of the shows I would like to attend are rather too far for me these days. I did a 200 mile round trip this weekend to visit family and even with a day off from driving, it's certainly taken its toll on this aching body! Sadly overnight stays not an option but maybe one day when SWMBO has retired, but whether she wouls enjoy a wargames show is another matter...

    I was happy to see the games you showcased were of the type that could easily be put on at home or at a club. I know there are others who want much more detailed games as per Partizan, but I prefer ones that I know I could do and also to see the games being played!

    I do wonder if we will see a slow but steady decline in the smaller shows, which would be a shame if it happened. As mentioned above most are too far to justify my attendance. Even Colours seems to be a more trader focused show, with less games on display last year. I do hope this is a blip for Colours, as it is easily accessible for me and a great venue too.

    Was there a good mix of scales on show out of interest? I ask because I go to shows to see games and, being a 10mm gamer, there is little there that I'm likely to by on the spur of the moment, other than books.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Steve, there were traders doing 6mm, 10mm, 13.5mm and 15mm , though Kallistra with their 12mm were missing, so I think for a show this size, the trade was diverse enough. On the game side of things however, battles were with the bigger toys. There was a 15mm Napoleonic game, though on a big table, so it would reflects bigger collections, rather than what you or I might aspire to.

    I did speak with one trader who has cut back on the show circuit, but he felt that the loss of that exposure had actually hurt his website sales! i know that I spoke to people, who’s websites I don’t visit, so there may well be something in that.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like it was a cracking show Norm! Thanks for the greatnpics and report.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Mike, thoroughly enjoyed and I have picked up my paint brushes again, so definitely a hobby lift.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment