Tuesday 26 March 2024

1809 Project Update II




There is a link at the bottom of this post to an earlier post (Part I) that covered the aims and objectives of this limited project.


In summary I am aiming for 8 units per side in a project that will see some 1809 related actions fought out on a dining table. 


In the initial post, I had 6 units out of the needed 16 units already painted. In this update, a further 4 units and two commanders can be added to that tally, now painted, based and sent to barracks.





To help with project planning, I have made up two rosters to keep me true to preparing just the actual head count needed. The units highlighted with a peach coloured background have been completed.


The French Progress (click on the table for enlarging)





The scenario (by Neil Thomas) that I am following needs an allied satellite battalion for the French.


I was just going to paint some of my Warlord Games figures as Swiss, but at the recent Alumwell show, I picked up the newly released plastic Duchy of Warsaw - nice!


The Austrian Progress





The basic forces for each side needs 100 infantry, 16 cavalry, 2 guns with 6 crew, plus a generals base that will have two mounted commanders. Even as a ‘small’ project this still demands a respectable amount of painting for the two Pocket armies involved.







Above - I picked these (Polish 14th  Cuirassier) up off e-bay for the kids, for their Christmas gift to me. I want my cavalry in 8's on 2 bases of 4 horse, but these seem too nice to split up.





Above - Austrian 6th Dragoons. To give me a leg-up, I sent these to a painting service and then based them in the 4's that I want. I wasn't 100% sure what to do with them when they arrived as I felt they had less contrast in them than my own stuff, but I liked them enough to leave them. They had been dry-brushed to give a dusty campaign look.


Anyway after some deliberation, I spent another couple of hours on them, putting some highlights in that of course matched my colour palette. I am now very happy with them.





I have added a few bonus bases to the list that may increase the utility of the force, outside that first imagined. These may or may not get done in time. The target for completion is January 2025, when a game with everything painted can go ahead for the Battle of Auberge, inspired by Neil Thomas’ Leibnitz scenario in his napoleonic book (as outlined in the initial post).





The French infantry units have been fairly straight forward to paint, if a little time consuming, but it is the Austrians that I find to be the most daunting, trying to get all of the white right. 





My most recent approach (above - 4th Line Regiment with pale blue facings) started with Wraith Bone rattle can primer (Citadel) over the whole figure and then for all of the white uniform to be painted with Apothecary White, which is a GW Contrast paint and is a sort of very light grey. All the highlights are then painted with Vallejo’s Off White and finally the cross belts done with Vallejo white.


With contrast paint, to ensure fully mixed pigment, I find that you have to shake, shake and shake the paint and then when you think it has been shaken enough ….. shake some more! I have put two small steel ballbearings in each of my pots, to help break up the sediment on the bottom.





Compared to the first unit that I did (a couple of years ago now - above top right with red facing) with standard painting techniques and a dark tone wash (Army painter), I think the involvement of the contrast paint has made for an easier and perhaps kinder result - at least for the wargames table.






I was going to do the Commander bases last, but jumped the gun and have just painted up Napoleon and Mameluke Ali as a duo (above). These are Perry metal castings and the pairing of these two for the French command was inspired by Iain (Cavedsum1471 Blog) who last year did a similar pairing for his 1809 forces (Blog link in the Resource Section Below).





Above - French Light infantry in line, plastics from Warlord Games, come with tiny transfers for the cartridge cases. A small thing, but to the eye, especially on the white cases, they elevate the unit to something nicer.


Looking at the gaps in the project roster tables, there are still units that need to be taken from their boxes, built and added to temporary bases. I will likely wait for better weather to do that, so that I can glue outdoors in the fresh air, but once done and I have a ‘full’ order-of-battle, I will take the Battle of Auberge to the table with the mix of painted and unpainted units while I settle on rules.





This is not as straight forward as I initially suggested.  I had thought that Black Powder would win through, due to my commitment to streamlining my rules to the Warlord Games trio. 


However ‘The Shadow of the Eagles’ is one of the few sets that survived the great rule clear-out and deserves another look. I would also like to spend a little more time with Valour & Fortitude, if for no other reason than the author / Perry’s plan to push those rules to cover other periods (ACW just published).





Above - three French infantry battalions in mixed order.


Speaking of ‘Shadows’, lurking in the background, I have my own Eagles at Quatre Bras rules, which have recently been getting a tidy up as I try to keep the napoleonic version and the ACW versions closely aligned.


Anyway, everything feels like it is moving forwards and getting sufficiently serviced. There was a small loss of wargaming traction in January because we had a couple of weeks of builders working in my usual gaming area, but suffice to say, that area of life / home has now returned to normal.


The building work combined with the Christmas period meant that I lost around a month of momentum, but the goal of having a year to complete the project and it having a relatively small objective, should make all of this still quite do-able as a January 2025 target. 


I’m glad I set the goal, it has kept the brushes working, perhaps more consistently than they have been for a couple of years - though they are caressing Wars of the Roses figures at the moment ..... on behalf of Lord Stanley and a Piggy Longton battle that is long overdue.


Resource Section.


Part 1 of the 1809 Napoleonic project - LINK

https://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2023/12/kicking-off-1809-project.html


Iain’s Blog (Cavedsum 1471) LINK

http://caveadsum1471.blogspot.com


My sister webspace ‘COMMANDERS’  showcases the various figure and boardgame systems that I am enjoying and gives a flavour of where current projects are up to. Link.


https://commanders.simdif.com


44 comments:

  1. Well, those units all look brilliant and this project is really coming along very nicely indeed:)! The 12-15 units a side is more than ample to get in a good solo game, with less still giving plenty of fun too. Can't wait to see them in action.

    Not sure if I will see any reply to this, as for some reason Blogger has stopped notifying me on my email of any replies made by me or other, despite ticking the Notify me box:(!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your not the only one not getting notifications Steve…

      Delete
    2. At least I'm in esteemed company Aly;)!

      Delete
  2. Hi Steve, sounds like Blogger is having a few problems this month, no doubt people are working hard in the background to keep the cogs turning!

    It was really nice to get them all on the table and I could certainly to a ‘wing’ action with what I have and perhaps even half the 1 Hour Scenarios are do-able.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aly, yes and for everything else that has gone wrong today :-)

      Delete
  3. Splendid stuff Norm…
    Eight units a side is a nice doable project… It’s always been my starting point … although I often get carried away and paint more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aly, I hope to be able to get to the point where I can get carried away :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that little lot looks splendid. Only you would do a big little project. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JB, the Big Little Pocket Armies … I like that.

      Delete
  6. All the figures are looking very nice and their bases are looking good too with a variety of small rocks and plants added.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I am pleased with the overall effect.

      Delete
  7. Some great progress Norm, 8 units per side is a good starting point. I'm sure you'll add more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray, it will be nice to reach that point.

      Delete
  8. Splendid work and progress Norm, a good show all round.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Phil, forever onwards and upwards!🙂

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Norm as you can imagine I'm super excited about this post! Duchy of Warsaw troops are very fun to paint. I had a blast painting mine up, so I'm really looking forward to when you get them their uniforms!

    Cant wait to see a game on the table, so get cracking!!

    I would throw in a vote, at least for your inaugural game, of Neil Thomas' "Napoleonic Wargaming", seeing as how you're playing the Battle of Auberge.

    The troops all look superb, Norm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, the motivation is running high at the moment. I think the combination of contained project and realistic, but firm target of 12 months is helping keep this on track.

      Yes, to. Neil Thomas game, since I have based so much of the project on his works, I at least owe him that. :-)

      Very much looking forward to doing the Duchy of Warsaw troops - they will like jump the queue.

      Delete
  11. You continue to make splendid progress, Norm. Years ago, my 28mm Napoleonic cavalry were based in pairs. Then I saw Mark's (1866...) cavalry based in threes and I was sold. I rebased to three per stand and prefer this presentation much more than paired basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jonathan, my 80mm bases are a sort of poor man’s nod to your like of Impetus style basing. The 80mm rather than 120mm is a good compromise for the smaller table, though at time, I do think that 100mm might have been the better halfway house.

      the bought cav on the 3 base stand do look very ‘right’ though.

      Delete
  12. Fantastic looking troops Norm!
    I am inspired by your project timeline. Giving yourself a year or so to complete the project is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben, I’m pretty sure that it is the size of the project Vs timeline that is making this work for me. I am painting (which I am not a fan of) much more now than I have done for years, so something is right.

      Delete
  13. The troops look excellent Norm, and I am sure you will be able to keep on schedule - Jan 2025 is a LONG time away and you seem to be around 50% complete already? hose cartridge box decals look great - but must have been pretty fiddly to apply?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith, the passage of time seems to be racing by faster than ever! So I expect January will probably catch me by surprise …. Again :-)

      The water slide decals are a nice touch, helped by the black decal on a white background. They were pretty straight forward once I got into a rhythm.

      Delete
  14. Great work Norm, you are making great progress and seem well on schedule. I must admit your plan and progress charts I am going to steal for my own projects, a lot more focussed than my usual way of doing things!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Donnie, I was really surprised how well the plan works for being focussed, for example, before the plan, I had just kept on gluing up Austrian and French infantry units, doing more than the limited project needed. They will be used in good time, but the plan helps drive you towards the gaps.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The figures look very nice Norm and your sensible approach to the project is a lesson to us all - well, to me anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Ian, with luck, this will be one project that actually gets to see light at the end of the tunnel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a super big-little project, and going along so well too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi David, things are just starting to gather apace, so hopefully a Neil Thomas style game soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good progress so far and maybe even a little ahead of schedule?
    The miniatures look really good as well.
    100 miniatures would take me about 8 months I think if motivated. I’m sure you can beat me in speed. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Stew, on the face of it, the time line looks like it has a bit of slack built in, but if I take into account some stumbles and some other things that also fight for painting time, I think this might be a close thing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Excellent post, great progress on your 1809 project and of course thanks for the shout out! I'm currently painting Austrian combined grenadiers( and French line and a load of late Romans) who were primed grey in the days before contrast paint and I'm pretty happy with how they're going, oh I was in Shrewsbury the day after you so thanks for the information on the model shops, visited both and picked up a dapol church model to use as a chapel and also visited the 1403 battlefield in order to walk the dog!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Ian, we plan to return to do the 1403 battlefield, is the shop / cafe any good?

    I have Austrian Grenadiers primed for when that day comes and at first thought that I would do their facings a mix of three colours to represent the battalions that they were drawn from ….. but as I am collecting and painting by regiment (but playing by battalion), I wondered whether I should do the Grenadier Battalion a single facing colour to represent the one colour of the regiment from which the battalions are drawn …. I have probably explained that badly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't find the shop/ cafe but the church of Mary Magdalene is really good, built on the site of the charnel pit and grew out of the Chapel built after the battle, not excessively restored by the victorians it has a really nice period feel to it, plus a display explaining the battle and some toy soldiers! Makes total sense about the grenadiers as that's more or less the thought process I went through, however I've decided to do each unit as a mix of three of the units I've painted line infantry for, eight figures in each facing colour but I totally accept the other option is equally valid as I very nearly did it myself! Did wonder if you're missing a unit of Austrian cuirassiers though, just to even things up!
      Best Iain caveadsum1471

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ian, yep, missing cuirassiers, because when building them, I used the horses with the reins crossed on the face, apparently these are what the dragoons used …….. so they then became dragoons instead!

      Delete
    3. Of course with that bridle that makes them Chevauleger, so technically light horse but other than that there's no difference with the dragoons! You could always stick the cuirassier torso on your spare hussar overall legs and go with one of the alternative helmets and arms and conveniently you get sheathed swords as well as unsheathed so you can easily trim them and your good to go except for the coat tails and the small matter of a horse! That's what I have done but in reverse, each unit of cuirassiers gives me a unit of dragoons, after I've scrounged some horses!
      Best Iain caveadsum1471

      Delete
    4. I can see my cavalry arm expanding :-) I have primed the hussars, but by having units of 8 and with boxes of perrys being 12 - 14 figures, there is some good scope for a mix and match approach.

      Delete
  24. My el cheapo way of painting Austrian infantry: paint them all white, hit with a dark ink wash. Retouch all belts with white, maybe dry brush high lights.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Vincent, I can try that on a test figure, it sounds like it will speed up the process.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well done Norm it's looking good. I admire your discipline to plan and compile a succinct force to do this - picking some of the best bits - the Poles were in a separate theatre in 1809, but hey, it's a hobby! 1809 is a bucket list project for me so I've gone into megalomaniac mode with my armies - still buying while I'm young enough to enjoy them and maybe get to refight Wagram one day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Chris, I had thought that Polish forces fought with Austrians in 1809, though not alongside the main French army. As you say, as a game it won’t matter and I already have some uniforms and flags that are suspect 🙂 your own tables are very healthily occupied by troops and are always a pleasure to see.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Outstanding progress Norm, I must make up some excel spread sheets myself for my upcoming revolutionary wars project. Keep up the great work

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Matt, My Wars of the Roses rolled of the painting sticks today and make way for some French Guard.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment